BootsnAll Travel Network



We’rrrre back!

Hello everyone! Well we made it back safely and soundly from our incredible Trek. We got back bright and early this AM from Lukla (terrifying runway) to KTM, on our wonderful (and terrifying) little airplane from Gorkha Airlines. What can we say about the Trek…it was certainly something that we will never forget or probably experience again. 13 days of traveling from village to village, staying in (actually surprisingly not bad) guest house, each of which had a restaurant(where Mike had plenty of dal bhaat)…yup, that’s the local dish, rice, lentil soup, some veggies and maybe, if you’re lucky, some potatoes. (Cheryl’s favorite hot orange tea (tang) and popcorn!) a (private) room w/two twin beds (where Cheryl and I would stay), and the (worst) bathroom (in the universe). It was really something and it will make more sense once we get some pictures up on this blog (which at our current pace it should be sometime around 2011- we’re trying to figure it out so bear with us). We hiked in the Everest Region, did a loop starting in Lukla, Namche (the “big” town of the region), Thame (beautiful valley going towards Tibet without any tourists on it), Lagden, Renjo la pass, Gokyo (many blue blue lakes in this area), Phortse, Tengboche (very neat monastary), and back. The hike up Renjo la Pass was extremely challenging (we got up to almost 18,000 ft), but the views of Everest were absolutely amazing. We couldn’t have done it without our guide, Gangan, who has ran the Everest marathon (so you understand how good of shape he is in). Waching the sherpas carry so much stuff on their backs – up and down the mountains – it was incredible, I really don’t see how they do it. Between them and and the yaks (and more yaks and more yaks) the trail was very busy in some places and it fascinating to watch the local culture.
Also, tomorrow we head out on our overnight whitewater rafting trip, Bhote Kosi River, with a company called Ultimate Decents. We leave bright and early at 6:30AM, and it’s about a 3 hour ride to the resort/camground where we will be staying tomorrow night, Borderland Resort. We think we’re doing a bulk of the trip the next day, and then when we’re finished we head back to KTM. Should be pretty fun, the rivers here are pretty world class. We gonna try and figure out more on the pics right now, until next time…



Tags:

3 responses to “We’rrrre back!”

  1. Courtney says:

    So good to hear from you guys!! Sounds too cool…

  2. Meredith says:

    Glad ya made it back safely, for a real adventure you should do the river in a duckie.

  3. Seckso says:

    Wow, Wow and WOW!nrMike, thanks for sending the blog info. nrnrI just caught up and absolutly loved reading about yalls adventure…keep um comin and who knew you were such a great writter. nrnrI see a book deal or at least and article in the future.nrSafe travels, Seckso

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *