BootsnAll Travel Network



Our Baja Adventure Begins

IMG_0263.jpgIMG_0256.jpgIMG_0248.jpgIMG_0212.jpg

 Our first night we camped along the Pacific shore on a beautiful cliff-side campsite high above the ocean called Punta San Jose.  If you check out a map of the Baja, you’ll find it just below the town of Santo Tomas (super cute wine country).  I got some great pictures of Steve surfing.  I’m too much of a wimp for that cold water! 

Yesterday (Monday) we made the drive from Punta San Jose all the way to Bahia de Los Angeles, which took up most of the day.  We arrived here yesterday evening at around 6:30 and are just now out exploring the town…errr, what’s called the town anyway.  There’s not much here, but hey, we were able to find a cute little internet cafe and mini market.  We are doing awesome on our supplies even though we’ve cooked almost every meal.  We stopped on Sunday to taste some authentic lamb and beef tacos.  I’m not a huge lamb fan, but these were actually pretty tasty.  This morning we rented kayaks and cruised around the bay for about two and a half hours.  It only costs five dollars to rent a kayak!  Steve tried to do some fishing off his kayak, but didn’t catch anything…there goes my dinner!  And, our campsite is right on the beach.  The beach here is a bit rocky because there are no waves.  It’s almost like a lake out there instead of an ocean.  But man, it’s beautiful.  Just off the cost here are numerous small islands, each one different hues of red, so they look stunning surrounded by the light blue ocean water.  Our kayak guy said that we could rent the kayaks for overnight if we wanted to paddle out to one of the islands and camp.  We decided not to because of time (we would have to pack up lots of supplies which would take some time planning).  The weather is gorgeous here, much better than the pacific side.  Our first night was pretty darn cold in Punta San Jose, but here on the Cortez, it’s nothing but sunshine!  It’s a good temp though.  Hot in the sun, cool in the shade.  

Just a few miles up from our campsite is an area known as Punta La Gringa (named after an American woman who tried to open her own camp ground).  We decided to spend the afternoon there so Steve could resume his quest to catch us some fish for dinner.  The water here was so clear you could actually see fish swimming below you at five feet or so.  Steve paddled out on my long board with his fishing pole while I fished from the beach.  I really enjoy fishing, except when I have to actually remove a poor little fish from my hook…which of course is the purpose of fishing right?  Honestly, I didn’t think I would catch anything, so when I did, I yelled to Steve that I needed him to paddle back to shore and remove the poor little baby fish that I had reeled in.  He yelled back to me to just take it off, but I refused.  He paddled back to shore visibly annoyed until he noticed that at the end of my line was a puffer fish.  “Thank god you didn’t try to remove that!”  Apperently puffer fish swell up like a baloon and are covered in spikes that slice your skin.  All in all, Steve had a good day of fishing catching a couple Calico bass and we enjoyed his famous ceviche for dinner.  

 



Tags:

One response to “Our Baja Adventure Begins”

  1. michelle says:

    Great log!! I love this – – it is like you aren’t really gone. Sounds like you are having fun and really disconnecting and enjoying your time together.

    Christy, great job catching the puffer fish. Don’t you have a photo of the cute little guy? Also, where is the photo of Steve stuck in the sand and getting help digging out. Great story!!

  2. Georgette says:

    Georgette

    Great site! i\’m looking forward to reading more.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *