BootsnAll Travel Network



Tully river rafting

My 2nd overnight bus in as many days went better than the first one, though this is mainly because I was so tired from not sleeping on the first one that I would have slept anywhere. I arrived in Cairns at 6:30 in the morning and was greeted by rain, dry season my ass. I basically spent the rest of the day either reading my recently purchased book on South Africa, figuring out various travel details for the rest of the trip and just getting things done that need to be done before I leave Australia.

Next morning I was up at 5:30 (before a few other people at my hostel here had gone to bed…) for my pickup to go rafting on the Tully river, I’m actually used to early mornings now. This river is grades 3 and 4, compared to my only previous experience with rafting in New Zealand where it was grade 4-5. However, this was a far better rafting day, and I loved the NZ one.

10-05-09 306

We were rafting for about 5 hours in total, with a lunch break in the middle, it rained on and off but rafting through the rainforest is actually one thing where the rain didn’t affect the enjoyment. We started on the easier grade 3 section of the river, the on to the grade 4 section. It was all great, especially the grade 4 stuff in the afternoon. The biggest improvement over the previous time I rafted was the sheer amount of rapids we went through. Last time there were a handful of big rapids (maybe 5 or so if I recall correctly), on the Tully there were probably 10 or so of the grade 4 rapids and an equal amount of the grade 3 stuff in the morning, the river was running high due to the recent rainfall making it even better. Also the environment you’re rafting in is awesome, ancient rainforest with various butterflies and birds flying by the rafts and passing quite a few nice cliffs and waterfalls along the rivers edge, it being a wet misty day added to the atmosphere.

10-05-09 352

10-05-09 296

Here’s a nice photo sequence..

10-05-09 222

10-05-09 224

10-05-09 230

10-05-09 231

10-05-09 232

The Chilean guide who was in my raft was fantastic, and the group on my raft was able to follow instructions well, thus avoiding getting stuck places and making the experience all the more fun. (one raft had terrible time following basic instructions like ‘move left’ or ‘forward paddle’, quite amusingly to the rest of us) Several other things that didn’t happen in New Zealand, we went for swims at various places in the river (it not being cold), including jumping in of 5m high rocks and floating in the water through some minor white water, went through a couple rapids in more interesting than the usual ways (such as doing a 360 spin going through) and, at the end of one of the last rapids our raft flipped upside down dumping us out (this was premeditated by our guide). Being in the water was almost as much fun as being in the raft, for short periods anyway ;)

10-05-09 229

I now have 5 days left in Australia, the next 3 of them will by around Cape Tribulation in the rain forest, after that I have a day in Cairns to sort out anything I haven’t done yet before flying to Sydney for my last night here and my flight the morning after to Jo-burg.



Tags: ,

5 responses to “Tully river rafting”

  1. Mom says:

    Do you pay extra for a front seat?

  2. Adam says:

    nope, the fronts where all the action’s at!

  3. Carla says:

    That looks like so much fun. I’m a huge rafting fan. I’ll have to remember this river for when I’m in Australia.

  4. What a nice pictures! you guys are great, those rapids are scary but still you’re enjoying it a lot.

  5. hatts.org says:

    When you uncover a shoe that has the Nike Zoom Kobe
    deal, which pays her royalties on her lines of tennis apparel and Cole Haan shoes.

    It may well present the features that make the sneaker so popular is
    its versatility and wide range of designs and colors are for sale: Nike nike blazers tn, 87, 90, 97 and so on.
    For your comfort, you do not poverty to be complicated.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.