BootsnAll Travel Network



the West

Leaving Cradle mountain, we drove West to the coast through some mountains, lovely viewing most of the way. What few towns (if you can call them that) there are in this area are mostly small mining settlements with nothing much in them. Strahan, on the West coast is the exception to this since it’s the base of West coast tourism apparently. Holiday parks, motels, hotels and restaurants here but no accommodation available for our budget, after looking all over for somewhere affordable we gave up on Strahan and found something in the not so far away town of Queenstown. Much less touristed, and still a mining town but they had a cheap backpackers place there and let us never speak again of the greedy bastards in the tourist trap of Strahan.

Good weather again, 3rd day in a row in the west country is amazing, we drove to the South end of Cradle Mtn/Lake St Clair national park to Lake St Clair. This is the other end of the 80km overland trek that starts at Cradle Mtn and the deepest glacial lake in Australia. The Tasmanian glaciers are long gone but the mountains they carved up are still around.

view from lake st clair

view from lake st clair

I like the Western half of Tassie better than the East, which was still nice and worth seeing but over rated in my opinion. The West is remote, and in the areas that aren’t scared by the logging or mining industries, beautiful. Of all the comparisons to New Zealand, there are similarities but New Zealand’s geography is more dramatic and has more diversity in it too. All that said it is nice down here, as you can hopefully see from my pictures…



Tags: ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.