BootsnAll Travel Network



The backpackers diet/new camera

A backpackers diet.

A lot of the time people associate backpacking with eating instant noodles every night and going mcdonalds when they feel like splurging. This is not the case for all backpackers, though here at this hostel I seem to be in the vast minority cooking real meals.

I spent today mainly in the kitchen or shopping for food. I’m going to the Grampians for 3 days tomorrow, and there’s not much in the way of affordable food that apparently so I am taking enough food for my time there with me.

A lot of the time when I have been traveling, staying in hostels, particularly here in Australia, many other backpackers come over when I am preparing or eating my dinner and comment on how fancy it looks. It seems like any meal I make, whether it’s steak, pasta or even stir fry everyone is in awe of how amazing it looks. With the exception of a few people here who are always cooking up interesting dishes, apparently if the meal is more complicated than boiling water or operating the toaster/microwave it is a gormet meal. The kangaroo steak (cheapest meat you can buy here) and fried potatoes I made the other were included in this backpacker gormet category, I keep hearing, ‘that looks fancy’ or ‘you’re quite a chef there’ from people here.

Not all backpackers eat the cheapest ‘edible’ substance they can get their hands on. There’s a few of us at this hostel who are actually cooking with fresh ingredients and making real meals for ourselves, also not drinking goon, how anyone can drink that stuff is beyond me, especially since real wine is cheap and good here.

Today I bought a whole fresh barramundi (local fish, something I’ve been wanting to do for a while), and barbecued it in olive oil and garlic for dinner with some sweet potato, accompanied by a bottle of french white wine, sauvignon blanc, called the arrogant frog which was all damn good.

grilled barramundi

Earlier today I made some guacamole and tuna salad for my stay in the Grampians, both tasting quite good. Backpacking around the world does not necessarily mean eating the cheapest crap food you can get, and in a way it’s sort of annoying, people being astounded at what I cook every day.

Ok, that’s enough talk of food, I also bought a new camera yesterday after reading many reviews and getting over that fact that my old one was history. I now have a canon SX110IS,(the above picture was taken with it) and I think I’m happy with it. It’ll get it’s first real test in the grampians this week which I am greatly looking forward to.



Tags: ,

One response to “The backpackers diet/new camera”

  1. Mom says:

    You are a chef….go for it!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.