BootsnAll Travel Network



Skydive in Taupo

Left Rotorua this morning, down to lake Taupo the skydiving capital of New Zealand and I thought it’d be silly not to find out for myself why that is…

Once I was suited up and got on the plane, the whole experience was about 20-25 minutes until I was back on the ground via the less conventional method. The jump was from 12000ft with perfectly sunny skies by the lake. It’s a tandem skydive so I had a guy strapped on to me operating the parachute etc, all I had to do was enjoy it all.

IMG_0100

Up to 12000ft and the green light goes on inside the aircraft, my tandem partner opens the door and I sit on the edge of the plane with my legs dangling underneath it as instructed. The view looking down from out of an airplane is quite different than looking out the windows, especially when you are jumping out of the plane. The first few seconds out of the plane you spin around and until you are in the stabilized free fall, those few seconds are unlike anything else.

The free fall lasts for about 45 seconds when jumping from this height, traveling around 200km/hr, though aside from the wind battering your face it doesn’t feel like you’re moving that fast, after you initially get out of the plane anyway. The first few seconds you feel the speed… Free fall is an awesome sensation, albeit a short one. Followed by the chute opening and gliding around slowly for several more minutes, also great fun and the whole time with a fantastic view before landing back where the plane took off from.

IMG_0123

I thoroughly enjoyed the entire thing, absolutely fantastic!

IMG_0124

IMG_0126

Didn’t convince my Uncle to do the jump, maybe next time ;-)
Tomorrow we’re hiking around a couple volcanos….



Tags: ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.