BootsnAll Travel Network



Launceston and the Tamar valley

Launceston is not a city. Enough said.
There’s a really scenic gorge through town and it is the gateway to the Tamar valley however. We stayed here for a couple nights basically because it was rainy, we found a nice hostel and there wasn’t much else to do.

Cataract gorge

Leaving Launceston, we drove through the Tamar valley and up to the North coast. This area is home to vineyards as well as cheese and chocolate factories. The day was one of the harder ones on the trip so far, spent sampling wine, cheese and chocolate with good success on all fronts. Backpacking is really tough sometimes, the Pinot Noir and pepper cheese I bought were a killer combination later on…

Tamar valley winery

We ended up in the town of Burnie for the night on the North coast, the 4th largest town in Tasmania and found a choice of 4 dinner options in the whole place, arriving after 6pm the town centre was practically deserted. It reminds me of towns in New Zealand a lot. It’s going to get even more remote after this as we’re heading back to Hobart down the West country, mountains, wilderness and not much else there.



Tags: ,

One response to “Launceston and the Tamar valley”

  1. alex says:

    sounds a place i would want to live, no peeps at all, sounds very pleasont

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.