BootsnAll Travel Network



Kaikoura

Kaikoura, due to the continental shelf drop off in depth near the coast here, is home to all sorts of marine life including what most people come here to see, whales. There’s several Great Sperm Whales living off the coast here year round, we decided to see them via light aircraft tour. The weather was perfect for it, clear skies making the ocean look irresistible, especially from above. We saw 4 of the whales, one near a sight seeing boat giving some perspective of the massive size of them (18 meters long).

great sperm whale

great sperm whale

After seeing the whales, we hiked around the peninsula here, home to the largest colony of red billed gulls in New Zealand, one of which stole part of my fish and chips from lunch right out of my hand. A despicable offense. Other than the lowly gulls, there’s other birds and the biggest seal colony I’ve ever seen, at least 200 fur seals there!

seal colony

fur seal colony



Tags: ,

One response to “Kaikoura”

  1. Israel says:

    Hi Adam,

    You must have really enjoyed the aircraft tour. You’re so lucky to travel around the world like this. We – your readers – are with you. The photos are just great.

    Take care…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.