BootsnAll Travel Network



Heli-hike on Franz Josef glacier

Heli-hike on the Franz Josef glacier. I can’t really describe it that well so I’ll type a little bit and posts lots of pics…

There are various different options for hiking on the glacier, most of them involve hiking to the base of the glacier which we did for free unguided. The alternative was the heli-hike. Helicopter ride to high up on the glacier, then hiking around on it for a couple hours before another helicopter takes you back down to town.

helicopter

I’ve never been on a helicopter before so that was cool in and of itself, plus you are flying over a glacier. The weather was perfect.

view from helicopter

Once on the glacier, you get ice picks/axes and crampons and start hiking. Some parts were steep, some pretty flat. Some areas had huge towering chunks of ice, and there were a few ice caves and tunnels we went through. The ice formations are all unique, it’s different every 20ft you walk and the colour blue in parts of the glacier is stunning. Awesome hike. Here’s some pics…

me in an ice cave:
me entering a blue ice cave

the glacier

me in another ice cave:
me in an ice cave

stream on the glacier
me on the glacier

Another Ice cave:

me inside an ice cave

After that, we drove down the coast…

West coast lookout point

and across the mountains to Wanaka. Not bad scenery around here either…

near haast pass



Tags: ,

One response to “Heli-hike on Franz Josef glacier”

  1. Babs says:

    That is badass!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.