BootsnAll Travel Network



Kyoto pt2

Second day in Kyoto.
Kyoto by moonlight

 

It looked like rain when I left the hostel (possibly because of the typhoon that was fast approaching the Japanese coast closest to Kyoto) so I took one of the hostels umbrellas with me… Good thing.  I thought I would start off checking out the castle here, then on to more temples.  As soon as I got off the bus to the castle it starts to rain, by the time I got in the entrance it was pouring, so I walked around the castle grounds in the rain for a while.  The castle was ok, but mainly uninspiring, but then I am hard to impress when it comes to castles…

 

After I left there the rain let up, and I continued my temple walk where I left off the day before, saw too many to remember or list.  They have temple complex’s here, with the one major temple, and numerous smaller temples and shrines surrounding it.

 

After I had wandered around enough temples for my liking I went to one of their arcades that had a food market in it.  Mostly fish and related products, but you could buy almost anything there, with restaurants scattered in between the shops. 
food market  

The fish shops were the most interesting, trying to guess what half the stuff was, looking at the pile of fish heads on a tray of ice just like all the other items with a price tag on them…  Farther on in the market I bought some japanese candies, I have no idea what they are made of, but they have some kind of fruit flavoured filling in this soft triangle shaped pastry, it doesn’t feel or taste like pastry but that’s the only word I can think of to describe it.  Very good.

 

 

 temple



Tags: ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.