BootsnAll Travel Network



transition

Copied straight from MamaBear’s journal

All travel has its advantages. If the passenger visits better countries, he may learn to improve his own. And if fortune carries him to worse, he may learn to enjoy it. ~ Samuel Johnson

Now England is not necessarily better than Spain, but central London is certainly a world apart from the rural countryside we have been traversing. It is at the same time both historically significant and far more modern. Buildings may be old, but they are not dilapidated or crumbling down. Rather, they are restored and grand. Plaques litter the walls telling of past events…..this building burnt to the ground in 1666 and was reconstructed by Sir Christopher Wren….this station saw the passage of thousands of children during the holocaust and now there are bronze statues to remind and inform us. The history of Spain seemed silent in contrast.
Window displays in Santiago shops were unpretentious, utilitarian – a bucket full of mops, a range of functional underwear pinned to a board. From London windows mannequins dressed in fine suits with shiny leather shoes and an artistically placed umbrella stare down into the street below, peering through gilt lettering. Reflected in the glass is a steady stream of black taxis, red double-decker busses, flash cars. Yes, we are in London. London complete with red phone booths and red post boxes, London with bells tolling deeply, London with signs pointing to squares all over the Monopoly board, London with St Paul’s cathedral.

London Oct 1 021

London Oct 1 033

London Oct 1 036

London Oct 1 064

How will we learn to improve our lives?



Tags: , ,

One response to “transition”

  1. Sandra says:

    Everything looks wonderful Rachael. I’m thrilled for you all. Your children have such fantastic experiences and great role models for what can be achieved with excellent budgeting skills. Wishing you all more fun and laughter on your travels. Sandra xx.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *