BootsnAll Travel Network



grey

by MamaBear

Whenever I walk in a London street,
I’m ever so careful to watch my feet;
And I keep in the squares,
And the masses of bears,
Who wait at the corners all ready to eat
The sillies who tread on the lines of the street
Go back to their lairs,
And I say to them, “Bears,
Just look how I’m walking in all the squares!” – A.A.Milne

Tessa, in her eight-year-old wisdom and full of discretion whispered to me this morning, “Today ERgirl6 will find out it’s not true.” She’s been waiting for months,  the day had come, and Tgirl8 was right. It’s exactly what happened walking down Fleet Street – there were no bears; just lots of businessmen in suits with takeaway coffee (and one very underdressed pilgrim family!)

London Oct 1 027

ERgirl6 had more checking-out to do when we got to Trafalgar Square. Those lions look real enough to a 6-year-old, especially the eyes, and a particular children’s picture book full of fantastic adventures around London on the back of one of the lions has a lot to answer for!

London Oct 1 037

London Oct 1 040

Books really did come to life when we abandoned plans of wandering over to Picadilly Circus due to the r**n and just turned around and employed R**ny Day Plan Number One: visit the National Gallery. So many pictures we had studied were on display, and reading through children’s journals tonight, I can see that they really were inspired seeing the paintings in real life. I had been concerned that we had reached artist overload point in Paris, but everyone enjoyed the National Gallery more than the Parisian galleries. No cameras were allowed, but we took journals and captured some favourite moments with our own pens and pencils.

London Oct 1 038

The weather forecast had suggested the clouds would clear in the afternoon. That turned out to be a very optimistic report as our photos testify:

London Oct 1 050

London Oct 1 056

London Oct 1 032

London Oct 1 019

Full Day One in London: grey and no bears even if you step on the lines.



Tags: ,

3 responses to “grey”

  1. Rosemary says:

    I’m glad the Ayres Bears were wearing bright colours…..apart from you, the buses and the postboxes, it’s all looking rather dreary!!!! Glad you are all enjoying exploring the city 🙂 How’s Tessa’s arm?

  2. Yvette says:

    Yeah, I think everyone from Oz/NZ needs to visit London sometime just to confirm your ancestors made the right decision in leaving based on the weather. 😉 Have fun!

  3. rayres says:

    You ladies made us smile! We were just looking at some photos we took today and one had blue sky – we failed to notice at the time, but the camera doesn’t lie! We were a bit obsessed by the fact that we were frozen – it looked nice enough out today and we did not wrap up as warmly as everyone else on the street! Tomorrow we will. T’s arm is OK today. Yesterday it was sore for the first time since she hurt it – I’m thinking maybe the weight of the cast was causing some issue. BUt today she was happy so we’ll leave it alone for now and not lose a day sitting in Guy’s Hospital which is just down the road!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *