BootsnAll Travel Network



Suffering from culturephilia

London rocks. I have taken to the streets with my sister. We went to The Tate Modern Gallery and tagged along with the tour of different areas of 20th century art: body, landscape, history, still life, and an exhibition of degenerate art. Most well-known works are Rodin’s life size sculpture ‘The Kiss’ and Monet’s ‘Waterlillies’.

The tube is so convenient to get across london and then each area is totally amenable to walking around (and everything is signposted, unlike laos and india, london is definitely expecting tourists). We stumbled across St Paul’s Cathedral which we could see across the Thames from the Tate (what is that magnificent bulding?) It was truly jaw-droppingly inspirational and timed with the beginning of hymn singing from the male choir. Then Camden Markets which are a rabbit warren of stalls with everything from (overpriced) clothes, to jewellery, to art, to books, to homefurnishings, to handmade belgian chocolates (get out!), and a splurge of multicultural cuisine. Then to Covent Garden for some live street theatre and yuppie shop musing, and onto Old Compton Rd to soak in the atmosphere and colour of gay Soho.

London is such a nexus that I’ve had a great time catching up with old friends who have lived here for years or are on their way to other parts of Europe, and also seeing people who I travelled with in south east asia.

I have got a 6 week contract working as a consultant. I can work from home and it will involve some travel to Scotland and other parts of England. It will put me a little more at ease to be earning the pound. I must stop converting everyting to aussie dollars, or I will never leave the house for fear of imminent destitution.



Tags:

Comments are closed.