BootsnAll Travel Network



Sacred cow takes own life

Still in Delhi in the days leading up to Holi Festival (26 March) which is a mass anarchistic ‘celebration’ typified by the whole country saturating each other in paint, indulging in extreme psychadelics, and being allowed to run completely amuck on the streets. Foreigners are warned to stay indoors on this particular day, because it can be taken as a free permit to attack us with all kinds of hand-thrown missiles. Already today (24th) we have all been saturated by various kinds of water and paint bombs whenever we get in or out of a rickshaw.

But Delhi has been good to me. On my first few nights I was taken around town by various Indian friends of my aunt. I was wined, dined, and danced in some truly plush establishments and funky bars that I never would have found (or afforded) on my own. Delhi is completely different to everything else I’ve seen in India. Poverty exists but alongside westernised wealth: shopping malls, traffic lights, manicured gardens, coffee shop chains, cinemas. A huge chasm exists between the capital and the rest of northern india.

Tonight I am booked on an overnight bus to the peaceful town of Rishikesh. Rishikesh is in the foothills of the Himalayas, at the mouth of the Ganges river, and is considered to be the ‘yoga capital’ of India. I was planning to leave two nights ago but the universe had a different idea. . .

I had the auto-rickshaw ride from hell out to Old Delhi railway station, late at night through dark and dodgy gravel streets. I was generously accompanied by two friends who offered to take me to the station so I didn’t have to go alone. On our way we had a head on collision with a deranged sacred cow that galloped directly towards us. The power of the impact was enough to break the her neck and leave her dead and bleeding on the road. A VERY bad sign. We intuitively understood this meant I should NOT get on the train to Rishikesh, so we promptly instructed our amused driver to take us back.

So I stayed here a few more days, which gave me time to visit the nearby Taj Mahal. Underwhelmed is a word. So is overcharged. So is hassled to the brink of hysteria – no I believe that is more a phrase. But yes, it’s impressive. We got a guide, so to hear the story behind its construction was interesting. It is considered to be a temple built to honour Love, and it definitely exudes a certain power that way. Amusingly they had to close down access to the surrounding towers because of the number of suicides that took place by people “unsuccess in love”



Tags:

2 Responses to “Sacred cow takes own life”

  1. Madhu Says:

    There is a ashram called “Geeta Ashram” which has quotes from the Gita all over the walls in Rishikesh…at least it was there when i went years ago as a kid…check it out.

    Also some of the rafting in the area I hear is cool..if you want a little adventure.

  2. Posted from United States United States
  3. mariann Says:

    have just spent an hour on public access compt catching up on all your travels. me thinks it time you stopped this mindless wanderings and get a job. na only kidding.

    soak up the kulture before it all turns to shit.

    peace and love
    auntee mez and cuz fin

  4. Posted from Australia Australia