BootsnAll Travel Network



ZIFF

Dhow Just another building

In the past 8 months, we’ve gone to see 5 movies. In 4 days on Zanzibar at the International Film Festival of the Dhow countries, we saw over 35 movies ranging from 4 minutes to 104 minutes long. Most, if not all, will never reach US movie theatres, and there were a few attempts that shouldn’t. However, most of the movies chosen for the film festival were interesting and relevant to current Tanzanian issues including the plight of indigenous peoples, AIDS, women’s rights, and Islamic society. Films came from such esoteric places as Uganda, Jamaica, Indonesia, Denmark, and of course Tanzania. Movies that you should seek out and watch include “Infinite Justice” from Pakistan, the humorous “Codeine” from Iran, and “Who’s Afraid of Ngugi?” from Kenya. While it was grueling to wake up for morning screenings after listening to live hip-hop and reggae until 1AM, we devoured return to entertainment.

On Zanzibar, they wear the sarongs of Southeast Asia, eat the chapatis of India, and play the Taarab music of Egypt. We didn’t plan to follow the historic trade route of the dhows, but doing so has made the festival and Zanzibar as a whole more accessible. At the same time, it’s allowed us to connect the dots on our trip and answered our questions of why there are Africans in Gujarat, India, and why EVERYBODY wears a sarong. Now, we wonder how the Portuguese didn’t conquer the world, and we’re glad we flew by airplane instead of riding a dhow.



Tags:

-39 responses to “ZIFF”

  1. Nicole says:

    I have heard of ZIFF–that’s so cool you were able to be there! (I think Festival of the Dhow Countries has a small performing arts segment as well; in the magazine I work for we include it in our annual summer festivals listing.) As you know I am attracted to grueling cultural experiences (having brought Matt to several of them), so I look forward to hearing more about it when you get back… Can’t wait to see you guys!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *