BootsnAll Travel Network



Zanzibar

Zanzibar Sunset

We’ve only been in Zanzibar for a few hours, and we already know we’re going to be here for longer than expected. We’ve seen more tourists today than in the past month. The tourist kitsch to go along with it is seemingly everpresent and the prices are outrageous (for Tanzania) even after our minimal swahili brings it down from exorbitant. It’s worth it, though. Maybe we’re rebounding from mainland Tanzania, but the huge array of tasty local food at the night market is by itself enough to keep us drooling for a long time after the wasteland of “wali nyama” and “chipsi kuku” – the flavorless pre-prepared staples of the rest of the country. Our room is charmingly decorated in Zanzibari style unlike every other drab cement-block lodging we’ve had in Tanzania. Narrow cobbled walkways, arched doorways, and huge intricately carved wooden doors provide a picturesque setting. On top of all this is the film festival we’ve hopped over for where movies can be enjoyed until after midnight for the paltry sum of around $4 a day. We also hear you can visit spice plantations, go snorkelling, and visit some ridiculously beautiful beaches.

Yes, we have a crush on Zanzibar, and it’s fun.



Tags:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *