BootsnAll Travel Network



I’m Back

The NaNoWriMo madness is over for another year, and I’m rejoining life 🙂

Meanwhile, things at the bomb factory Friendly Neighbourhood Atomic Weapons Establishment are hotting up. A White Paper on the future of Britain’s nuclear deterrent is due to be published on Monday. I’ve just emailed Tony Blair and pointed out that not replacing Trident/building new nuclear weapons does not appear to be among the options to be discussed, seeing that the new supercomputing facility and Orion laser are already under construction. Such a shame that I never received the message which I needed to confirm my email. The website blames my email filters—of course the Number 10 website does not filter out incoming messages with troublesome keywords.

Pointing out such omissions matters, because parliament is only allowed to vote on the options set out by the government.

Looks like all I can do is show up at the site yet again. I missed a big demo last Monday, but I only heard about it on the news. Well, I know for Dec. 11th.

****

NaNo Digest

30/11/2006:

I ended up at just under 51250 words, and that’s where it has got to stop for now.

For those who are crazy enough, there is always NaNoFiMo, but I’m not that much on a roll. Plus I’m stuck—again—on the verge of big shit hitting the interstellar fan when my starship AIs (and the other level I AIs in the Sol system) are dragged into meatspace conflict as the Nephos being, to whom they are linked, gears up for a battle for survival.

To the AIs, humans are tools for interacting with meatspace. Meatspace may just turn on them.

’nuff said. If this doesn’t sound completely preposterous by January, I’ll continue with it. And even if it does—I’ll rewrite it.

My major problem is that the characters still lack soul. This is purely an ideas-driven piece, and that may be its death knell.

Whatever.

What irks me now is that I can’t get a nice purple bar and a WINNER’s ICON, dammit. I want one! Not having one feels like I’m not really part of NaNo—boo-hoo.

Well, I wasn’t really part of NaNo. I have expanded an existing work and I haven’t completed it either. I reckon that makes me even more of a winner than last year, because last year’s effort didn’t get as far as this year’s already has done (being submitted and rejected, natch) and will do (ditto, by a publishing house).

Now I will go offline and try to forget this NaNo madness until midnight is gone, or else I’m going crazy, staring at that wordcount validator.

Tags: , , ,



Comments are closed.