BootsnAll Travel Network



Suitable Hoi An

suit.jpgSometimes I do wonder just what in the hell I am doing.

I’ve been in Hoi An in Central Vietnam for just over 24 hours and I just came from the final fitting for 2 suits I had custom-made.

Damn, Jim. You live in Alaska. You are retired. You want to be a be a ski and kayak bum for the rest of your life.

2 Suits?

But they look pretty darn sharp. One’s black cashmere wool – very classic styling; the other’s a brown, sporty cotton set. Both come with tailored shirts and ties. One shirt is wild. So is one tie.

Why not?!?

This Vietnamese lady, just a bit bigger than 1/2 my size, measured most every dimension that I have. For those who might want to know, my rear-end was 2 CM bigger than Dave’s (Dave is this Californian I met a few days ago and I’ve been hanging with him and his wife Johnna for the past few days).

Baby’s got back.

When we went in for our final fitting, the whole family and various tailors (the shirt and tie guy, the jacket lady) were all there. So were a couple of female japanese tourists. There we were dropping tro’ and trying on our new threads. Quite the comedy.

I also got a pair of customized boarding shorts. The whole package: 2 suits, shirts, ties and B-shorts set me back just over $90.

In case there’s a semi-formal ski race, I’ll be ready!

Hoi An is one of the older Vietnamese cities. Nearby Cham ruins were built in the 4-7th century.
This city has quite a few homes and temples that date back to the 18th century that are still being used. Lots of charm and some good food to boot. White roses have been our favorite. Did I mention that we’ve been having 30 cent beers?

Maybe they’ll have to let a little out on the waist before I leave…



Tags: , , , , ,

2 Responses to “Suitable Hoi An”

  1. Sara Says:

    Right…we’ll set a formal ski event for around prom time…you’ll be back by then to ‘iron out’ the details for the events committee. Maybe we’ll even have enough snow. In the meantime, skating’s been great…Portage Lake froze snow-free, so it was out to the glacier on smooth ice, and around icebergs in the lake. Ice on ice. Pretty cool, literally, at 15 below.
    BTW, Brad Pitt’s been traveling in Vietnam. You might be mistaken for him in your new duds. Have an autograph pen handy. 🙂 S

  2. Posted from United States United States
  3. groupon reviews Says:

    Just wanted to pop in to let you know how I truly enjoyed reading your article. I was able to get great ideas that have been very helpful. Please keep on to share your beautiful mind with us.

Leave a Reply