BootsnAll Travel Network



Crossing the Border into Cambodia

bb.jpgWe are in Battambung, Cambodia right now – some 150 kms from the Thai Border. Crossing the border at Poipet was one of the most bizarre travel experiences I have had – and I am very glad that I am writing of that experience in the past tense and am no worse for wear from the ordeal. But there will be some good stories about it when i get back. The road out of town is quite possibly even worse than the drive to my lake house back in Soldotna – but some 90 KMs of dodging cows, bicycles, motos, trucks, pedestrians,and potholes big enough to swallow a chevy suburban.

Cambodia is a big change from anything I’ve seen so far on this trip -more 3rd-world like conditions. Tomorrow morning we will take a boat downriver to Siem Riep and will stay there a few days to explore Angkor Wat. Should be a highlight of the trip.



Tags: ,

One Response to “Crossing the Border into Cambodia”

  1. Sara Says:

    Great to hear more about the travels, and I hope Angkor Wat is everything you expect it to be. Soak up the warmth…we’ll be on fresh ice under a full moon this weekend. Take care, both of you! S

  2. Posted from United States United States
  3. admin Says:

    The ferry from Battenbong to Siem Reip confirmed that the experience of somethings in life far exceeds any imaginative understanding. In this case,the reality was far more…I dunno, I guess sadder than I have known sadness to be. Yet I saw smiling kids everywhere…

    In SR, it seems most all kids – and starting when they are toddlers, are trying to sell the tourists flutes or pastcards or braceletts or books…It is understandable…

    We spent the day at the temples near AW. We’ll see AW tomorrow.

    Ask me about happy pizza when I get back…

  4. Posted from Cambodia Cambodia

Leave a Reply