BootsnAll Travel Network



Jan. 5/6 – Mexico

Day 157/158 – Tropical climate is our new environment now. Down near the ocean we have palm trees and green leafy trees all around us. Between the highway and the beaches are fields of five story tall coconut palms and under those grow a dense crop of banana trees. As we go up in elevation in order to go over the mountains the surroundings become drier, with a few cacti, pine trees, and rocky terrain. In changing just a few hundred feet of elevation our surroundings are quite different.


country side

Sayulita was our town for the night, and if Baja Sur was a gringo resort area, then this was a village from the states! It’s the place to go if you want a cool, hip town (reminded us of the East Village in New York) and are looking to lounge on the beach or go surfing with no worries. Not the place to go if you are looking to get away from the states and all of its normalities.


more country side

We are starting to spot some new creatures. A tarantula crossed the highway today, I think I squished him. He was big, hairy, and striped black and orange. I am glad we are not sleeping in a tent 🙂 Jason saw an iguana on the side of the road and I saw a really cool, long lizard. We’ve been seeing more horses saddled up with the full get up, with lasso and all! The Mexican cowboys tether their horses up to the trees in town.

We drove all the next day and only made it to Manzanillo – 277 km/172 mi – the road was all curves and hills. When we came close to Manzanillo there was a very long stretch of road construction which didn’t help either. We got into town and tried finding the two trailer parks that were in the guidebook, but we had no luck. We drove around for two hours and asked for directions but no one could help us. We finally saw a motor home parked on the side of the road by the beach and asked if we could park with them. They didn’t mind at all.


beach just north of Manzanillo



Tags: ,

One response to “Jan. 5/6 – Mexico”

  1. mom says:

    Good job on the updates!

  2. Shawn says:

    Being a native midwesterner, I still find it odd to see things like lizards walking around freely, which does happen here in central California.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.