BootsnAll Travel Network



Jan. 4 – Mexico

Day 156 – (J) We woke up refreshed and headed out to wander the streets of old town. We were in town well before all the shops and people had started to stir, so we had the city and streets to ourselves. After grabbing a quick bite to eat at the local market, we walked along the boardwalk that is adjacent to the Pacific Ocean.

__
Below – Church in old town Above- old town streets

Along the walk Mexican teenagers had a spot where they would dive from a cliff, into what looked to be shallow waters near the coast. They did this in exchange for donations from the swarming gringos. They leaped from approximately 30 feet above the water and timed the landing to match the peak of the incoming waves. More then I would be willing to do for a few pesos!

__
Get ready……………………………………… and dive!


From old town, the coast line

After about a 3 hour walk along the coast we went past the hotel that I had stayed at when I had come to Mazatlan for spring break, 9 years ago. This really brought back memories. I was only a kid back then and my only interests in Mazatlan where Cervasa and Tequila. I have a hard time remembering back on that week, and I am sure that it is due to my primary focus back then! The town had changed so much in the past decade. Many of the same hotels and shops where there, but it seemed that for every one that was there on my last visit, there where 3 new ones to match. Across the street from my old hotel was a new sports bar that had opened since my last visit. It was perfect timing! At 6:00 that evening, the USC vs. Texas national title game was on. So that is where we spent the rest of the night. I am normally not a die hard college football fan, but after 6 weeks of not watching sports, it was a great way to relax. After the game April and I took an open air cab back to our hotel in what might have been the world speed record for a chopped up VW Bug.

__
Ode to the Taxi_________________ street art on the wall near our hotel, a well said statement



Tags: , , ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.