BootsnAll Travel Network



Jan. 3/4 – Mexico, West Coast

Day 155/156 – The next day, after playing fetch with Mara, an awesome dog :), we headed out along highway 15 libre (the free-way, instead of the toll way). If you have an extra hour or two and are trying to decide whether to take the toll way or freeway, take the freeway.


Lucy, Bernie, Mara, and Jason – with our vw’s

The road is in great condition and the scenery was spectacular, and it wasn’t that much slower. We were out in the middle of the country for most of the time, but went through a few main towns. The environment changed from the dry desertscape of Baja to a more lush desertscape. A lot more green brush and trees on the mountains and plains, along with cactus and rocks scattered around. We even went through a few fields and over a river or two, it felt a lot more like the northwest. The ride was very tranquil.


Landscape off highway 15 libre

Mazatlan; we stayed in Old Town where there are no big fancy hotels. It has the feel of a small European town. The hotel we stayed at was called La Lerma (located on 622 Simon Bolivar – phone 981-2436) right near the beach with secured parking. It is a really simple, but great hotel with a big courtyard where you can park your car. It has clean rooms with the basics; a bed, a bath, and a ceiling fan. Very recommended and affordable ~ costing us only 120 pesos a night.


La Lerma hotel – we highly recommend it.



Tags: , ,

2 responses to “Jan. 3/4 – Mexico, West Coast”

  1. uncle Dave says:

    Which VW is yours? Keep sending it is fun to read and look at the picture. Dave and Margaret

  2. admin says:

    It´s the VW on the left. Ain´t he cute! – jason and april

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.