BootsnAll Travel Network



Aug 20 – LA/TX

Day 19 – We took route 90 (future interstate 49) down along the southern part of Louisiana, the Cajun area. Stopping outside of Houma at Bayou Black Airboat Swamp Tours (www.bayoublackairboattours.com 504.628.2508) for a tour of the southern Louisiana’s wetlands given by Wayne Ponthieux Jr. It was a very informative and excellent trip through all the different parts of the wetlands that they have, though we learned that non-of them are what the swamp use to naturally be. He also was very informative with providing information about the history of the area and it’s lifestyles. The pictures below show some of the animals, plants, and landscape that we rode through.


baby gator


riding through the swamp weeds that are taking over the open water – they were accidently brought up from S. America


A lily field


Lily flower


a gator protecting her nest, but unknown to her – the hunters already took her eggs for farming the babies – they release 1/3 of the eggs caputered back into the wild after 2-3 years – the other 2/3 used for meat and leather.


Gator being fed a veggie – didn’t make him too happy…


more swamp


and more swamp


an owl – really cool … watched one try to land on the top of a tree and fall sideways down to the next branch – they are very big birds and I find them very fascinating.


pretty gator


an alley of trees


going back into the main canal


Behind the boat – it looks like a hurricane as we drive by…


Our guide and boat

Our swamp tour took a bit longer than we expected so we hightailed it to Texas that night to make sure we were in Austin by the next day. We decided to take our first night sleeping in the car at a rest-area right across the Texas boarder.



Tags:

2 responses to “Aug 20 – LA/TX”

  1. Grandma Arey and Ed says:

    We keep learning from your trip. Never knew Canada had Gators. Keep ’em coming, we love ’em. RE and Ed

  2. ari says:

    poor aligators. de le vega opened a new shop in our hood. yay! why dont they leave the baby gators alone. did they try to bite u??

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.