BootsnAll Travel Network



Aug 19 – AL/LA

Day 18 – Today we drove through Mobile, Al and followed Interstate 10 west through Mississippi to Louisiana. Mississippi was only a drive through state for us at the moment with tons of road signs for Casinos and New Orleans was our destination tonight. We found our way through the garden district of New Orleans to the Prytania Park Hotel (800.862.1984 – www.prytaniaparkhotel.com) that is conveniently right on the trolley train path. It was a wonderful clean hotel with people that were extremely nice and they had wireless internet. The price was very reasonably and it takes my vote to stay in if you visiting. We walked down to the French Quarters to enjoyed an evening of eating, wandering, and people watching. The location we picked to listen to some live music was at the Tricou House, in their small bar next to the restaurant, were the 711 Bourbon St. band played. It was the liveliest most interesting group of people to form a band we’ve seen play. The group was made up of a bunch of random guys that looked like they had just met in a train station. Very diverse, but all very rough looking.


Trolley transportation for New Orleans.


Night scene at bourbon st.

A food investigation. Ever since entered North Carolina (I think it was than) we have seen signs along the roadside for Hot Boiled Peanuts. Depending on the area sometimes they were seasoned – like in Louisiana they had Cajun hot boiled peanuts and somewhere else had garlic hot boiled peanuts. They were also sold once in a while at the gas station. I had never thought of boiling peanuts and it seems like an interesting idea. So, we have to try them out of course before we leave the south. They boil the whole peanut, shell and all, and ours was just handed over to us in a zip lock bag. They are very interesting looking and smelling. I kind of liked them and Jason found them a bit too odd. The texture was similar to firm butter, they softly smushed in your mouth in a pleasant way, but the taste was a bit odd for us. It could have been the seller that we bought from, and so it inspires me to try to make hot boiled peanuts again at home to see if I can make some to my tasting.


This was at the rest-area where we got our boiled peanuts – there was free NASA tours of there rocket testing lab, which we unfortunately didn’t take advantage of.


I assume concrete slabs keep the coffins from floating up when there is flooding….



Tags:

One response to “Aug 19 – AL/LA”

  1. ari says:

    boiled peanuts hahahaha. wow so u were in new orleans b4 it happend wow

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.