BootsnAll Travel Network



Aug 13/14 – FL

Day 12/13 – After another great night of sleep on my favorite couch, Jason and I headed down to Key West to visit the childhood home of our friend Tess, who sadly could not make it due to two huge exams she has to take for her PHD in a week, everyone wish her the best of luck!! — Tess, we missed you a bunch and wish you were there! As nice as she is, she hooked us up with her parents, Mimi and Simon, who live on Boca Chica Key. They were very gracious and let us stay in their rental vacation/retreat house next door. This was the most beautiful place I can think of when picturing tropical blue waters and peaceful islands. Right out the bedroom and living room windows was the light blue warm Atlantic Ocean. They are placed right on the water facing east, and have great patios to lounge on and kayaks to take out and explore the mangrove forest nearby or the ocean. If you are ever in the area or want a vacation in the Keys give them a call or email, they have great prices, package deals (anything from a trip on their lobster boat w/dinner to massages by the ocean), and retreats or just weekend getaways. Their information is Beach Music Retreats: email: simi01@bellsouth.net phone: 305-923-7800. I highly recommend it.

a cheezey grin and more importantly the view from the living room windows — see the ocean right there!! and the horizon, so beautiful and I already miss it…

Jason kayaking and the duck that joined us

Our first night there we went to downtown Key West to watch the sunset at Mallory Sq. It was fun, with tons of street artists doing some really silly and amazing things, and tourists from all walks of life. We had a relaxing dinner on a roof deck restaurant of Turtle Kraals that looks over the historic harbor and the lightening storm that was in the distance.

sunset festival at Mallory Square…

We stayed an extra day in Key West just to fully relax and enjoy not moving around. We did nothing all day and Jason made a nice meal that we shared in the evening in the wonderful company of Mimi and Simon.

The sunrise as we left Boca Chica Key.. worth the early morning 😉

A few side pictures:

a storm that we drove into going to the Keys

this is how they get their electricity out — I find it a bit counterintuitive – always great to see how creative people solve problems.. I am sure we will see a lot more as we go.

Can’t live without cell towers — Florida is so flat you can spot each one… on the thought of flat Florida, going into Alabama there were some hills – it blew me away at first, I got so use to the flat water land of FL – literally water everywhere you look.



Tags:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.