BootsnAll Travel Network



The Gouda cheese market

Cheese RowsYesterday Wendy and I went to the weekly cheese market in the town of Gouda (which is pronounced ‘Howda’, apparently), not far from Utrecht. It was very touristy but still quite pleasant and it was an enjoyable morning excursion. The main part of the market, in front of the pretty town hall, isn’t even a market at all but more like a recreation of how it might have been a couple of centuries ago. There were ‘cheese scientist’ men in white lab coats, cheese girls in checkered dresses and clogs, and prospective ‘buyers’ who engage in a bizarre bartering/high-fiving game with the scientists (picture: “5.50!” – high five – “3.50!” – high five – “5!” – high five – “4!” – high five – “4.50!” – high five – “Sold!”, or something to that effect). Huge amounts of cheese were set up on the ground and the buyers and workers load them onto horse-drawn carriages.

It was all pretty cheesy (pun absolutely intended), but it was still picturesque and fun and at least the characters/performers are paid by the city so they pose for photos and don’t turn nasty afterwards when demanding money like the Colosseum gladiators in Rome.

As for the cheese itself, we bought some from the actual market nearby but haven’t eaten any yet…



Tags: , , ,

-3 responses to “The Gouda cheese market”

  1. Senator Filth says:

    Sounds like a Dutch Auction to me. I’m not happy with your blog title by the way – surely you and Wendy should have a combined name. Nindy or Weck or something like that