BootsnAll Travel Network



The Ghana Coast

There’s not so much to report of our recent travels. We’ve spent most of the last week or so in Cape Coast, Elmina and Winneba on the Ghanian coast, generally doing very little but enjoying relaxing and eating good food. There are a string of castles on the coast built by the Portuguese, British and Dutch during the early colonial era, so we checked out a few of those, including the St. George Castle in Elmina, which is the oldest European building in sub-Saharan Africa (and, in fact, anywhere in the world outside of Europe and the old Roman Empire). We also went inland for a day to do a canopy walk above the rainforest of the Kakum National Park, which was a pretty cool experience too. You can see photos of all this stuff on Flickr here.

We’re back in Accra now, and Wendy, Lockie and I had a really nice BBQ at the house of the Australian High Commissioner last night for Anzac Day. Aussie Bob, another of our friends from our Dogon Country trek, is coming to town on Saturday from Cote d’Ivoire, so we’ll probably stick around to see him and watch the cricket World Cup final in our own room at Steven’s place (if Ghana’s chronic current electricity issues don’t disrupt our plans). We don’t know exactly where we’ll go next because we’re trying to see if we can change our flight a bit to get back to Europe a little earlier, but in West Africa things like that are easier said than done!



Tags: , , , ,

-2 responses to “The Ghana Coast”

  1. Alison says:

    Hi,
    I found your blog doing a search on google for “abaaya”. I have a few things I’d like to ask you, if you don’t mind… I’m really interested in world travel, and was wondering how you got your feet wet.

    Basically, I’m a 19 year old college student from the US… Reading through your journals it looks like you’re doing the type of traveling that I’ve dreamed of doing – very long term (5 or 6 years?), all around the world – particularly Middle East/Africa/Asia, finding local “gems”, etc.

    But travel seems so expensive. I was just wondering how you got the money to be able to travel for so long without worrying about working…. Whether you saved up whole lot of money, or were just living really cheaply, or both…

    Because I don’t have much money at all, so it seems like it’s impossible to travel long term without being really, really rich.

    I’d really appreciate any words of advice, if you’ve got the time…