BootsnAll Travel Network



Southeast Asia

When Wendy and I first starting looking beyond Europe on a world map five years ago, Indochina (Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam) was high on our list of regions to visit. We went to Southeast Asia twice in 2003 but somehow didn’t make it to where we really wanted to go and wound up spending four months in Indonesia, which was dictated by weather patterns as much as anything else, and a month in Burma on our way to India. Now, nearly four years since we were last in the region, the stars have aligned and we’re going back to take slow boats down the Mekong, gasp in awe at the Angkor temples, trek on the back of elephants, and experience all the other highlights of Southeast Asia.On Monday we’re starting where nearly all great Southeast Asian adventures begin – Bangkok – and then quickly heading north for a couple of weeks before crossing into Laos. We’re hoping to spend a month going all over Laos before continuing south to Cambodia and the temple complex that includes Angkor Wat and Angkor Thom, the historic sight that I want to see the most in the world. If we’re still unemployed by then, we’ll cross into south Vietnam and slowly make our way up to the north, eventually flying to the Philippines. After that … well, it’s a bit too early to say, but there’s a lot of places in Asia that we’d love to visit, and this seems like a great chance to knock a bunch of places off our list.



Tags: , , ,

Comments are closed.