BootsnAll Travel Network



Another side of Paris

Ahh, Paris – city of romance, city of lights, etc etc. Yes, Paris is lovely – until you visit the sewer system.

Sewer It was a rather unusual choice of activity yesterday afternoon, but since it wasn’t a nice day above ground – in the five days since we left China, Beijing has had three blue-sky days compared with one for Paris – we decided to check out the ‘Egouts de Paris’ and go on a guided tour of the sewers. It was pretty smelly and disgusting (the picture to the right doesn’t need much further explanation), but actually quite interesting as well. Some interesting sewer facts we picked up:

– Inside Paris’ peripherique, there are two million people … and four million rats. Rats eat triple their bodyweight in garbage every day, so they are an important part of the disposal operation.

– All the sewers are named according to the streets above, and numbered where the houses are. If you lose a ring or something else down the drain, you can call the sanitation department and unless there has been a flood, they will find it 95 per cent of the time.

– They still find swords and other WWII era weapons in the sewers occasionally, as the sewers were one of the bases of the French resistance in Paris. They also find modern-day weapons like handguns which murderers throw down the drain after their deed, only to find that the sanitation department and the police work together to recover the weapon and use it as evidence. And yes, they also find corpses.

ChartresMoving right along, on Monday we visited the gothic cathedral at Chartres, about an hour outside of Paris, and the basilica of Saint-Denis in the eponymous suburb in northern Paris. The interior of the Chartres cathedral is very dark but the stained-glass windows, which tell biblical stories (such as that of Noah) and much later ones (such as Charlemagne’s recovery of Mary’s veil), are impressive. The old town itself is also quite attractive but is completely overshadowed by the church, which is one of the most famous gothic (or ‘French style’ as gothic architecture was called in gothic times) cathedrals in Europe.

This evening we fly to Rome, which always excites me no matter how many times I go there. Meanwhile, some photos of France are here.



Tags: , , , ,

Comments are closed.