BootsnAll Travel Network



An actual real forest in West Africa

Greenery rocks. Especially if you haven’t seen any lately, and even more so if you didn’t even know you were about to see it…

We rented bicycles this morning to ride to a swimming river about 18km outside Bobo. What we didn’t know was that the river is contained within a beautiful lush green canopy forest, an amazing sight if you have a) spent the last five weeks in the Sahel, or b) recently spent more than a year living in Qatar, or especially c) have done both a) and b).

Our little swim was nice but the forest was what made my day. You really learn to appreciate this kind of landscape after travelling for a while in the brown dust of Mali – it honestly felt more like Central America or Indonesia than West Africa. Plus I guess it’s autumn here even though it should be spring – the leaves were falling off the trees which made it even nicer.

We’re now killing time while waiting for the 4pm bus to Banfora, which is also within Burkina Faso’s ‘green belt’. There is a waterfall (with more swimming) 15km outside Banfora so we might get bikes again to visit it, plus a lake with hippos nearby.

By early next week we’ll be in the capital Ouagadougou (Wagga-Do-Goo), and surely I’ll be able to upload photos of Mali and Burkina Faso then…???



Tags: , , , ,

Comments are closed.