BootsnAll Travel Network



Layin around in Lyon

I have been in Lyon since wednesday afternoon. After a fairly unsucessful search for a hostel; I found a hotel room for 30 euros that included a shower. It was more than I was willing to pay but it was the only place in town that offered a room. I said fine and left as it would be a few hours until the room was ready. I met up with Kate and her friend (kate you may remember as the girl from the states we met in ireland; had her camera broken, came out to celebrate eddys birthday despite her lack of drinking). We had a beer and agreed to meet again that night to go out. I returned to the hotel, there had been an opening so I now had a cheaper room but with no shower. That was fine with me as I was told there was still a shower available for use. I thanked the man and asked just where it was I could go for a shower. He gave me a key, told me where to go upstairs and said I had until 8. I figured it was a locker room style shower; they shut the water off at 8 maybe. Nope, this was someone else’s hotel room and they just wouldnt be arriving until 8. I showered quickly and returned to my room in case he was renting it out by the hour on the side.
I went out that night with kate and her friends to the aussie bar, a series of dancing in the street and party boying a car followed by chants of USA USA got them back for their constant assault on my way of saying out, and we called it a night. The following day I checked into a new hotel, for 25euros a night i had a double bed; a marble fireplace, a window opening up onto the courtyard, an armoire a sink, a desk; chair and closet. That was my base for my day of wandering the centre area of Lyon. That is also where I saw the add for the Lyon hockeyclub and their game on saturday night, which is why I decided to stay in Lyon until sunday morning. Thursday I just kind of wandered and read my book, I wasn’t feeling too hot so I decided to take it easy. I saw a bit of a fight in the main square and that was it. Friday nght I was in the same hotel, I wandered the old town in search of a marionette museum, but to no avail, so I settled for the museum of fine arts. It was a good little museum, free admission so that helpd as well. I still wasn’t feeling all that great, so after wandering on the right side of the river, I turned it in for an early one. This morning was my big day, I had a hockey game to go to tonight. I checked out and set off in search of the hostel, finding it almost accidentally, and before I had even booked in I met someone to go to the game with and probably travel the next few days with into Italy. Not a bad start to the day. We wandered into town, through a french farmers market then I took a bus out to Kate’s house where she had promised me a lunch. Scrambled eggs and toast hit the spot nicely, and we returned to town so she could find volleyball gear as she had signed up for a league. We parted ways, possibly to see each other again in a couple weeks in Prague, and I left to get ready for the hockey game.

So that’s about the size of it kids, heading to Italy tommorrow morning, possibly cinque terra, possibly Florence, and other than that there have been some good little stories along the way, like that of the chinese man talking about the war or my eating habits the past few days, but if I posted all that, there would be nothing to save for later. Leave them wanting more I believe is the expression, and with that I bid you adieu for now.

Mike



Tags:

3 responses to “Layin around in Lyon”

  1. l-dawgg says:

    hey loser..
    sounds like you’re havign a good time..
    wish i coudl be there with yyoouu..
    misssssss yoouuuuu..
    – lwilton

  2. Kat (Rino) says:

    hey dude. It must have been nice to have a good home cooked meal, no canadian bacon though. Hope that you are feeling better. I bet the hockey game was an experience. Seeing what it’s like in another country would be really cool, how the fans react, some local chants and stuff, maybe learn a few moves. I’m so excited to hear about Cinque Terra. I talked to an Italian friend of mine and she said that you cannot miss Rome. I’m not sure about these eating habbits of yours… that should be interesting to hear about later on. Happy Travels.
    Love, Kat

  3. Monique says:

    haha ooo i cant wait for the next update.. im interested in this chinese man and ur eating habits lol glad u got a little bit of a hockey fix while ur there too anyways i jus got back from algonquin the other day.. it was pretty fun … probably no europe trip but a nice break away from the usual routine.. im not to sure when ur coming home but its gotta be kinda soon.. looking forward to our next trip to lakeshore… have fun! from mo:)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *