BootsnAll Travel Network



Greek Gods and Gyros

I got into Greece today. Tara and I took the ferry from Bari to Patras (this time on purpose, no backtracking to Corfu) and then got on the train to Athens. On the ferry I noticed a few things: one being that a seat on the deck is different in October than in August. In August a seat on the deck involves meeting other travelers, playing cards, drinking and sleeping on the deck. In October it means finding a free airplane style chair somewhere below deck, and playing cards at the bar until one is tired enough to sleep. We did that after killing a couple baguettes and some nutella which served as lunch and dinner. Another thing I noticed is that I left my shoes in Rome, looks like my bag just got lighter as I will be sporting the ever popular flip flops for the duration of the trip (some of you may remember them as the ones I wear every single day, or as the ones I wore to prom). Another thing I noticed is that I am too big to sleep in a supposed airplane style chair. These seats do not recline, they are uncomfortable and too closely spaced for me to sleep. My night was spent on the floor after I crawled underneath the seats and curled up there for the night. I got stepped on once or twice in the morning, but I managed to sleep.

Greece is cheap, alot cheaper than anywhere else I’ve been, which is a very very good thing considering my bank card has crossed over to the dark side and become one of satans minions that refuses to dispense cash. Oh well, c’est la vie.

So tommorrow I may go to delphi, I may stay in athens. I have a flight booked to Berlin, I may find out when that leaves and so on, and other than that, I realized today that I leave on the morning of the 21st, so really I only have 8 days of travel left, if I count tonight, which I wont because I am feeling pessimistic about my lack of time left here, so one week left of travel. Over a year of saving and planning, months and months of buildup, two months on the road and it all comes down to the next seven days. I have no choice but to make the best of them and plan for round two.



Tags:

2 responses to “Greek Gods and Gyros”

  1. Monique says:

    alright note to self: do not wait a long time before checking up on mikes blogs.. took me forever to catch up and now my eyes are hurting from looking at the computer screen for so long and there is too much stuff to comment on.. my heart skipped a beat when u reached the climax of ur travels:D haha hopefully those flip flops do ya fine until u get back here; back to life and routine and partying with ur friends and trips to lakeshore etc. i cant believe ur almost coming home feels like u’ve been gone forever but at the same time it feels like u just left (if thats even possible to feel both those things) anyways if i dont get to sleep soon i might die so enjoy ur week .. and make it as memorable as possible! byebye
    -mo

  2. Kat (Rino) says:

    Wow. it seems so weird that you were there in August. I feel like September just flew by but at the time it seemed like it was dragging. My last day of school before my break is tomorrow (friday) and I cannot wait. My cabaret class has just been a horror story, I’ll tell you about it when you get back, cause I don’t want to talk about it now. My dance teachers exam is the end of November, so I’m starting to stress on that, but I’m tres excited too. I’ve learned how to sleep in train 2 seaters very well now, I can’t feel my legs after, but you can get a decent sleep. To be honest, I’m almost disappointed that you’re coming home. I love reading these blogs and in a way talking to you every day. I am excited to see your pictures and to see you, but I’m sad that I will no longer be able to say that my good friend Mike is in Europe. I hope you have the best time ever this week and I hope to see you soon.
    Love you, Kat

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *