BootsnAll Travel Network



The Final Day

It is my last full day in Europe. I woke up at 7:30 this morning, packed my bags and left the hazy comforts of the Flying Pig. I walked more centrally into the red light district, to my next place of lodgings. Situated between a porn shop and a thai massage parlor, I am staying at “The Shelter”, a Christian-youth hostel. I dropped off my bags and left for the train station, determined to make the most out of my last day in Europe. So I boarded a train and left the country, arriving in Brussels, Belgium . I left the train station without consulting a map, without talking to tourist information, determined to re-capture that feeling that had overwhelmed me at the beginning of the trip, the feeling of something completely new and exciting, of being lost with no hope of recovery, of being utterly at the mercy of something else. Instead I found the powerful feeling of the need to alleviate bladder stress, and learned a lesson- bathrooms in downtown Brussels are hard to come by. So for those of you keeping score, or a list, or a tally of some sort, you can add side of a store on a fairly busy street at noon in Brussels to the balcony and metro garbage can.
Feeling relieved and after fleeing the scene, I treated myself to a belgian waffle dripped in chocolate. I also wanted to see the famous fountain of the little boy peeing, which I felt a deep connection with now, but it was covered in scaffolding and cloth and under construction of some sort, like so many other monuments I had seen. I had decided to turn back as I was in need of a shower and lo and behold, they moved the train station. A couple hours later I decided to settle on the subway and made my way back to the station ,where I caught a train back to amsterdam.

So the plan for the upcoming time frame is to get a dinner, go to bed, wake up at 5:30 tommorrow morning, pack and catch a train to the airport, come home just in time for my welcome back committee’s parade and to ride atop the float that will be used to transport santa later in the year.
That was going to be the plan, but apparently there is a bible study at the hostel. I might be attending that if I can manage to secure a brownie about 45 minutes before hand. See if I can get on the good lords side, or exercise some demons, or something of the sort, whatever it is they do.



Tags:

3 responses to “The Final Day”

  1. Kat (Rino) says:

    Sigh, nothing like a good christian shelter in the red light district. I can’t believe that it’s already your last day in Europe. By the next time you read this you may be in good ol’ Waterdown. It seems like you first arrived in Europe just 2 weeks ago. I must say I will thoroughly miss your blogs and your crazy adventures. I wish I could be at your parade but I will at some fancy dinner at Ridley College. I will be there in spirit, or in the bushes. And don’t worry about the boy peeing, you will see him again. I hope that travelling goes safe and well/good tomorrow. I hope you had the time of your life.
    Love, Rino.

  2. Dee007 says:

    Your whole blog was awesome. Your trip was documented sooo well and it was hilarious. Good for you on doing this, nice to be home though too eh. Take er easy.

    Dee

  3. travelgirltiff says:

    kk, wow so i read yoru whole blog tonight. i had read some of it before but ive got it all now. you always look at things in an interesting and sarcastic light, and i was glad that followed you around on yoru adventure. its amazing to know that a person can say that they are travelling the world, and then you do it.. You did it, and i hope that it has been everything you thought andthen some because lord knows the unexpected can be good as well. i hope we get the chance to follow your story when you take another adventure. in the mean time enjoy your time off start planning that next trip. to burning manperhaps? time will tell. until then….

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *