BootsnAll Travel Network



Yet More South American Transport Fun

There is no straightforward way to get from A to B in this continent.  Part of the reason that you can never get flights in this particular country is because the locals reserve about ninety each on the off chance they might want to go somewhere at some time.  For a laugh I decided to join in, so went to spend a happy hour reading my book and waiting for my number to come up in the Aerolineas Argentina office.  I reserved a few flights (no-one was actually buying any) and left with a smirk on my face.

However, today I thought I might go and confirm and pay for one of them (for when I leave for Brazil).  AA got their revenge by having a strike yesterday, the result of which is a load of frustrated people queueing to have a go at the bored/moody counter staff.  A result of that is the security guard at the office won’t let people in to queue.  Rather we have to stand outside.  Can’t be arsed so decided to check on any Rory news – everyone fine, Sue now at home, Isis playing with her cousins etc…

Been a bit of a tourist recently.  Tigre is fantastic.  I recommend anyone coming here for a while to take a breather from the city and get the cheapest train in the world (37p return) to this cosy little backwater.  Also visited La Plata (dear to get there – 58p return), a sort of Milton Keynes of Buenos Aires Region in that it was a new town (in 1880) built to house the regional government when BA became the federal capital.  I went for the architecture and was very impressed by the cathedral – the ‘biggest neo-gothic church built in the 20th century’.  Not sure what the competition was.  However, a lot of the turn of the century stuff has been demolished, a fact amply demonstrated by the models of how the town used to look in the museum.  Still, I absolutely made the day of the woman in the tourist office simply by being a foreign visitor.  Which was nice.

Anyway, off to see a couple of miserable Mancunians tonight (if I can track down the ticket – hello Matt) and then await the arrival of her highness on Sunday.  Hopefully, review tomorrow.  Bye.

Track of the day – Saturday Night Beneath The Plastic Palm Trees – The Leighton Buzzards



Tags: ,

5 Responses to “Yet More South American Transport Fun”

  1. Derm Says:

    Sorry to be a pedant but for the benefit of your CD compiler it was the Leyton Buzzards. Although the awesome Kajagoogoo were from Leighton Buzzard and your memory may have been blinded by their brilliance. Anyway song of the day must be Rory by Black 47.

  2. Auntie Angela Says:

    Derm’s just too good at this game.
    Derm & Col – don’t forgot to keep the 22nd April in your diary, for Patrick’s christening. There will be a couple of sideshows- Martin’s return (should we be celebrating?) and Vicky and Mum’s birthdays. Have I missed anything? We like to keep it cheap – spreading the cost, as you know.

  3. How many more defeats Mike Says:

    23rd of April is the anniversary of when I passed my driving test, 20 years ago. It’s also the anniversary of Shakespeare’s birth and death and St George’s day, he’s the guy who’s England’s patron saint who didn’t really slay the dragon because they don’t exist, but don’t tell the Queen.
    PS Football is so shit (sorry mum).

  4. Posted from United States United States
  5. aida Seyoum Says:

    EDITED…  just wanted to add that there is a place called Tigre in the north of Ethiopia. Though I’ve neve been there, when Cathy and Bernadine visited, they thought it was a small town that reminded them of England in a third world country…people smiled at you but did not approach you or said anything to you..any resemblance to the Tigre you know??

    Miss you loads at work by the wayx

  6. Patagonian Travel Agent Says:

    Hi John

    I have it on good authority that the Mayor of Rio Gallegos is currently expanding operations & to tie in the air network in Argentina.
    This means that it will no longer be possible to fly direct to anywhere in Argentina. Instead, all flights will be routed via Rio Gallegos (as is currently the situation for buses) and onward tickets to your destination may only be purchased when actually IN Rio Gallegos.

    Of course, as you rightly point out, 90% of all onward tickets will already be reserved by the time you reach this booming transport hub, so you will be required to stay for several days in one of the many quality hostals owned by the Mayor´s extended family until a flight/bus becomes available (or until you actually do die of boredom, whichever happens soonest).

    On an entirely unrelated thread: Were you aware that Cedric was once a bone-fide podium dancer? In fact, I was treated to a demonstration of several of his finest moves in Mama Africas on his last night in Cusco (cheers Cedric!). What a boy won’t do for a couple of pisco sours eh?

    Glad you´re back on form again after the mob-attack. Keep yer chin up!

  7. JK Says:

    On the subject of Fheile Padraig. Of course everyone is welcome. If Beef or Salmon (trained by Mr Hourigan from Co.Limerick) wins the Gold Cup on that day don’t expect me to be in anyway sober. If you can’t find me, look under a table.
    LPJ. What a weekend next week’s could be.Should we beat England at Twickers (Sat) and Celtic hump Dunfermline in the final (Sun) it really could be a ‘time of great drinking’. Genuine TOGDs do only come round once in a while. 1999 treble, Euro ’88 (England 0 Ireland 1 in Stuttgart) Seville 2003,Double ’88,Wrexham 1 Chester 2 (1978 I think). I Hope you will be suitably prepared for this! And a little song to get everyone ready for Friday.
    Hail, glorious St. Patrick, dear saint of our isle,
    On us thy poor children bestow a sweet smile;
    And now thou art high in the mansions above,
    On Erin’s green valleys look down in thy love.
    (optional repeat)
    On Erin’s green valleys, on Erin’s green valleys,
    On Erin’s green valleys look down in thy love.
    (Chorus)
    In the war against Rangers in the fight for the cup
    When Jimmy McGrory put the Celtic one up
    We’ve done it before and we’ll do it again
    On Erins green Valley ‘s look down in thy love
    (chorus)
    Hail! Hail!

  8. admin Says:

    These comments are actually posts as far as I can see – and all the better for that.

    Derm, without pedantry we would be like Americans, so it is welcome.

    Ang & Mike, all should know whoever can get to Chester are welcome. It’s an afternoon do with a promise of evening entertainment to follow. PTA, you are welcome (it’s just by the train station). Kim’s birthday is around the time so we should be celebrating that, in absentia, as well. Apparently we’ve been banned from the bingo.

    Aida, I’ve edited the first half of your post to prevent embarrassment. This Tigre has been described as a cross between the Norfolk Broads and Apocolypse Now, if that helps.

    PTA – it is already not possible to travel directly by air within Argentina. Andrew was told he had to stop off (overnight) in El Calafate on his way to Ushuaia. His flight to EC did of course go to Ushuaia first before doubling back.

    JK – a useful peaen. Good to see you pushing the drug you peddle so efficiently. Paddy’s in BA is apparently well celebrated. Unfortunately I shall be in Tigre. Working on it.

  9. Posted from Argentina Argentina

Leave a Reply