BootsnAll Travel Network



Post Modern Pop – A useful diversion

untitled.bmp Not Buenos Aires – cheers John

Off to Luna Park where every Porteño indie kid and his chica (and a fair few uncles) gathered to witness a pop concert by drain-piped funsters Franz Ferdinand.

First point of note was that there was no bar.  An almost novel experience (for me) then of no ale at a gig.  I think the last time that happened was The Skids matinee performance at Eric’s c1979.  Second they played a Queen song prior to the start.  Why?

Still everyone was very excited as the boys slid onto the stage.  Initial impression is that they looked tired, particularly the bassist.  (It turned out later that he was grumpy for some reason and he was goaded by Alex into livening himself up a bit when Take Me Out was played.)

Anyway, after a song off the new album they started to get into it, the first stand out track being Dark of The Matinee.  After that (and the occasional muchos gracias), Alex had the crowd in the palm of his hand.  He really geed the others up and gave a charming solo performance, frankly.  Not to say the others weren’t necessary or excellent, he was just the head-and-shoulders entertainer of the mob.

They finished the first part off with Michael, probably my favourite track of theirs and very good it was as well.

Jacqueline was the first of the encores and I was able to ruminate on how much better on holiday things are.  Next some more second album stuff (never received as well as the first), but a fairly remarkable 3-men and a drum kit interlude got everyone going again in time for the finale of This Fire.  What one might call a barnstorming rendition.

All very good and just what the doctor ordered for me (on many levels).  There are a couple of things I might return to, but need to get off to sort out a couple of (other) things now…

Thanks for all your goodwill, again.



Tags: ,

11 Responses to “Post Modern Pop – A useful diversion”

  1. Gillian Says:

    Glad to know U R still cheerful and in one piece. Feeling quite perky myself as just booked a flight home for May. Really looking forward to it, seeing friends again and actually going to a decent pub! The “glacier” pic sent by Cathy looked wonderful – I am most envious.

  2. Posted from United States United States
  3. JK Says:

    Great to hear you are so upbeat. FF in BA.Can’t be bad.Told my lad Niall who is dead jealous. Been snowing here in Chester.Absolute chaos.But the kids get a day off school!
    Matinees at Eric’s…..jeeez those were the days. Generation X & Iggy Pop without beer!

  4. Sister Angela Says:

    For people who read this blog from those parts, do the kids get the day off school when it snows in Canada?

  5. Message for Shaun Says:

    Shaun, what date is this Barcalona trip? It is now time to book flights and they will be going like hot cakes from Liverpool.

  6. Derm Says:

    Sadly Alex is a huge Queen fan and without a hint of irony. He even claims Freddie Mercury as a major inspiration, particularly for his stage act.

  7. JK Says:

    Sister Angela – The answer to that is probably NOT. But then again, I don’t suppose they are waiting to sue the backside off the school if little Kylie or Chardonnay gets hit by a snowball. But don’t you think it’s ironic that these ridiculous 4X4s which seem to dominate the school run, don’t get the chance to plough through the very conditions they were built for, ‘cos schools been cancelled?

  8. admin Says:

    Snow? We don’t have that in BA. Lots of sunshine, though. However, no apartments apparently. If I wasn’t such a well-balanced individual the Charles Bronson comparison could start to get real and serious. More on this when someone gives me a bed for the night (although the lovely hotel man last night did upgrade me to a suite with a jaccuzi).

  9. Posted from Argentina Argentina
  10. Angela Says:

    We’ll see you at little Leonardo’s christening on 22nd, John. Clare won’t be drinking, as she will be doing the driving in her new, top of the range Rav 4 (weather permitting).

  11. JK Says:

    Well she can be forgiven for driving that thing up Brook Street. Some days you wouldn’t be safe in a Chieftain Tank. Is there anybody else I haven’t insulted on this site yet? Looking forward to seeing you all on the 22nd and to help further swell the Vatican’s coffers.

  12. Sister Angela Says:

    I’ve had to set the view from the bingo as my PC background for the day. It’s such an idyllic setting. Is that a crack dealer I see under the roundabout?

  13. JK Says:

    You mean under the Magic Roundabout (as known among the druggie community in this fair city)? No! He was definitely dealing in ‘snow’ yesterday.

Leave a Reply