BootsnAll Travel Network



On the Faint Whiff of Urine Throughout Peru

Cath taps an unpleasant aspect of the glorious country of Peru with her NCP car park comparison.

There are parts of Peru (particularly high in the Andes) that, in the way the queen is meant to smell of walnuts, Sven Goran Erikson of parma violets and Richard Branson of merde, smell undoubtedly of wee.

Cath is being charitable when she claims that the lack of public toilets is to blame. Cath, exactly how many public toilets have you seen in the whole of South America? Exactly. If this were the explanation, the whole continent would stink like the queen mother used to. And it doesn’t.

No the odour has another cause and I believe I was given an insight into it just over the border in Copacabana.

I was sitting by the dockside resting my piles when one of those colourful bowler-hatted ladies with voluminous skirts approached carrying a bag of lama wool the size of a wheelie bin.  She asked if I would keep an eye on her sizeable burden while she went off on some unexplained little errand.

She didn’t move far.  She went approximately 3 metres to position herself behind a temporarily unmanned ice-cream cart (where was the owner?). Once sure of the suitability of her spot she hitched up those brightly coloured layers of clothes, made a little adjustment and went for a number one directly in front of me, her copious micturate swirling around the wheels of the ice-cream cart.

This, I believe, is accepted behaviour high in the mountains and is the true reason why the entire region smells of the entry from Bouverie Street to Garden Lane.

Just felt the need to clear up that little mystery – in order not to unsettle delicate stomachs, I won’t describe the sights and smells in the aftermath of New Year’s Eve in one particular corner of Cusco (where Cath is now headed).

On other matters, I have given up on the idea of a flat in San Telmo and now live in digs in town.  Very nice they are.  Should contact be necessary (particularly new nephew news) I’m in room 108 of the Hotel Ailén.  This access number should get you through for 1p per min (0844 861 3232). Then you have to call the number you need. They take messages.

Today is Christopher’s 18th birthday.  I can only assume he is recovering from a late night out.  Happy birthday Chris, and emailed pictures from your new camera would be most welcome.

Happy Birthday to Pat, also, although I know she doesn’t read this.

Off to sort out more stuff. Love etc.

PS Thanks everyone for the emails with your phone numbers. In particular I would like to thank Nobody-at-All, as at least that person does not have a phone number.

Song of the day, Call Me Every Night, Jane Aire and the Belvederes



Tags: ,

7 Responses to “On the Faint Whiff of Urine Throughout Peru”

  1. Stuart (as in Phil's mate) Says:

    Martin, sorry to hear about the mugging matey. From Angela’s note sounds like you gave them a good hiding. Well when I say a good hiding obviously not good enough to get your gear back! Sounds like your having a great time. Your diary is keeping me and the missus entertained so keep writing.

    Is it the night-life and outstanding totty in Buenos Aires the reason for staying there for a month? Some superb boozers around La Recoletta but the Argies will never forget Las Malvinas and will try and take revenge by thrashing you at table football. They do have a history of being good at playing football with their hands.

  2. The Editor Says:

    The boozers are a major reason for staying here for a month – as is the football. On totty, I couldn’t possibly comment.

  3. Posted from Argentina Argentina
  4. Al JK Murray Says:

    Local totty LJP? Shave the Zapatas’ off and you’ll be laughing – The Pub Landlord rears his ugly head once again !
    Seriously, great win by the lads tonight against Wigan. Thoroughly well deserved after we dominated throughout- so Fred the Red told me. Very luck really, but hey! It’s long , long overdue. Mate went tonight and reported a conversation coming out of the ground from the Pie Eaters. “Mum, how on Earth did we lose that?” “Don’t know ask your Dad”.
    “What.Me brother?” “No he’s your Uncle”……..and so it continued.
    Have a good one.All waiting to cheer Barca and Villarreal along tomorrow night.Hope you are.We are such Internationalist aren’t we?

  5. Pub Landlord Says:

    2 down, 2 to go.

    Ivor Cutler Rip (1923-2006)
    Every silver lining has a cloud.

  6. Col Says:

    Well i must say… you’r a fine one to comment on other people’s lavatorial arrangements…!

  7. admin Says:

    Unfortunately that’s a very good point Col. Shall we leave it there?

    Gutted about Ivor Cutler. Another one of the good guys gone.

    Am able to follow the footy well from here.  I see United are playing a large number of friendlies between now the and the start of the new season in August.  I see the ‘special one’ is now becoming the ‘whinging one’.  Good.  There could be exciting news on the local footy in BA.  More when I get it.

  8. Posted from Argentina Argentina
  9. Sister Angela Says:

    The ‘special one’ has been hilarious. I watched every ball and enjoyed every minute. Almost as much as I am currently enjoying the Liverpool game.

  10. Fez Says:

    I never realised the high Andes had so much in common with Electric Avenue!

  11. Auntie Angela Says:

    And another Parry goes into labour. Watch this space…

Leave a Reply