BootsnAll Travel Network



Bahia Blanca and The Copa Libertadores

So I left Patagonia and arrived late in the town of Bahia Blanca.  It’s just a place on the way really, so I wasn’t expecting too much.  A Norteamericano was practising his Spanglish when I arrived at the info kiosk so I tried to pick his brains.  He was escaping from what he saw as a dump, but I wasn’t up for an overnight bus journey, so asked if we were near the centre (what with my pack etc.).  Dead close he reckoned so I checked with the nice lady in the kiosk.  She advised a cab which would cost a quid.  Glad I took her advice, but I did say to the cabbie that I wanted a cheap hotel near the centre.  Well, it was certainly cheap and it did have nice staff, but it was yet another pit.  It proudly boasted one star, which I presume it got for having a coffee machine.  My room had a window onto the rubbish chute and the shower spat rust at me.

Out for me dinner – early, it being 10pm.  Stayed in the bar that sold omelette and chips for some very exciting Copa Libertadores football, much better than that ECL rubbish you get over there.  First game saw Sporting Cristal of Peru (one of a handful of teams over here named after beer) take a 3-0 first half away lead to Estudiantes of Argentina.  Second half saw Estudiantes score 4!  Last two looked offside to me, but they were at home.  Second game was Tigres (Mexico) at home to Cali (Colombia).  The usual two goals to the away team were given within 15 minutes, with Tigres drawing level before Cali got a third as half time approached.  It was 4-3 to Tigres within 10 minutes of the restart with a fifth later on, Cali making it 5-4 before the end.  14 goals in two live games.  That’s what you want, not dour one-nillers in passion-free games between teams of mercenaries (although the Bremen/Juventus game was rather entertaining).

Anyway, my pit did the job, in that I actually managed to sleep in it.  Booked a bus (7 hours) to the seaside resort of Mar del Plata for tomorrow and moved into the Hotel Italia for the evening.  Twice the price and ten times the comfort rating.

Also, the Stones’ gig in BA last night led to rioting.  Unbelievable that so many youngsters should be bothered enough to see that crowd.  Jagger looked more than ridiculous prancing around to Jumping Jack Flash…

Good to see some football ‘personalities’ have joined in the fun.  I knew about Wayne’s interest in Gothic architecture, but was unaware of anything existing between Mr Gerrard’s ears.  Just goes to show.

PS – Thanks for the photo comment Aida.  Very nice of you.  Yes, I did take the picture.



Tags: ,

3 Responses to “Bahia Blanca and The Copa Libertadores”

  1. JK Says:

    ECL lacking passion? I thought the Barca end at the Bridge looked to be full of passion on Wednesday night.The Village People/Rent Boys maintained their usual diplomatic silence though.
    As I type this news is coming through that the ambulance Smithy from ‘Anfailed’ on Saturday morning was attacked and an attempt was made to overturn it! We really are so lucky to have such wonderful examples of humanity living so close to us aren’t we?

  2. Fez Says:

    Bahia Blanca and the Copa Libertadores sounds like a Latin-tinged ska-punk band fronted by a temperamental, tequila-swigging chanteuse – possible new direction for the Fffrett?

  3. admin Says:

    That is a very good point Fez. Comeback gig with new direction on Mayday? Do we have an extra f in there now?

    I agree about Barca, JK. Heard Mourinho is a little upset. Unfortunately it’s hard to be surprised any more about the other business.

  4. JK Says:

    Funnily enough,LJP, those were the exact words of a guy on Red Ish today. “Is anyone surprised?”. Sad to say, no one is in the slightest.
    Mourinho-toys are scattered all over the Kings Road. The Chosen One’s words were not exactly well chosen the other night and I think the beckoning finger of UEFA awaits.
    Have fun!!

Leave a Reply