BootsnAll Travel Network



Back to the Travelogue

OK – finally left Santiago today and utilising the advice of the woman in the Tourist Office, headed for San Fernando on the train. It`s important to remember that this woman was clearly mad. In fairness I suppose any small town will be dull on a Sunday (and it has livened up a bit post 6pm), but this is a one-horse, multi-stray dog joint. However, it does have an open bookies – the first I´ve seen in South America.

After a slightly worrying 45 minutes of trying to secure a bed I finally found one about one minute from the railway station. It`s 20 quid a night and some serious economising may well have to come into play now I`m in the expensive countries of the continent. Did consider putting my wedge on the 4.45 from Villarrica, but without Mike`s advice, there`s a danger I might have won, so didn`t bother.

Noticed that there were buses with `Centro` written on them. From where? Turns out the cemetary and the hospital were the destinations. The alive and healthy people here are lovely, though – generally very friendly and helpful.

Still, carry on moving south tomorrow – perhaps to finally catch up on some the famous Chilean landscape now I`m a way from limited visibility of the mountains around SdC.

Good to see United saw off the mighty Wolves, although tempered by L`pool`s lucky squeeze through.

I`ve had emails and now comments advising me not to moan. OK – it`s 30 degrees outside and I`ve not got work in the morning. Very, very happy about this. OK? And finally I`m approaching the place in the title. All good.

Finally, has anyone got a Motorola mobile phone tools disc that they could send to an address yet to be published? If so let me know. Would be useful for when I replace my notebook. Cheers.

(Today`s song is Tainted Love – Soft Cell`s version, simply because it`s on in this cafe and was a suitable blast from the past.)



Tags: ,

2 Responses to “Back to the Travelogue”

  1. MikeyMikeyMikeMike Says:

    Very bitchy comment re the horses older cous, I’m deeply offended. One horse one winner for me last Saurday, Ursis at 4/1 may have put a smile back on your face.
    For those that are interested I’ve had a word for horse called Zaffeu in the 2:20 at Wolverhapmton on Friday. The step up in trip should suit apparently, fill all your proverbial boots.

  2. Posted from United States United States
  3. Elaine Says:

    When I saw this entry I misread it as “Back to the Travelodge”. Had visions of you in a motorway hotel with stripey bedspread. I echo Angela, it is freezing, I too have a cold and a sore throat, in addition I am doing all the work that you should be doing here and trying to make sense of the budgetary implications whilst fending off additional work in the agency staff area, which is being pushed my way. My JD has still not been re-evaluated and the puppy gets me up at 6am.

Leave a Reply