BootsnAll Travel Network



Visit to Custer State Park, SD

August 21st

After spending a day exploring the plains, we decided to spend a day exploring the surrounding mountains, the Black Hills, where we had been camping for three days. Surprisingly, the highest peak between the Alps and the Rockies is here in the Black Hills. The granite mountains with their lakes and forests are a nice contrast to the vast plains that characterize the region.

We started by taking the same scenic road we had taken a few days before. The weather was on our side and in place of rain and fog, we had pretty blue sky. We made a couple of stops to do some short hikes: first at the needles (granite spires jutting into the sky), then at a popular area with rock climbers and finally at a pretty lake with large boulders that appeared natural but on further inspection, turned out to be dammed. After a full morning of hiking, we decided to relax a little bit at the campground before doing an evening “wildlife” tour. We saw bison, pronghorn antelope (from close), wild turkeys and donkeys (while not wild, they were entertaining.)

Posted from Williamsburg, VA



Tags: , ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *