BootsnAll Travel Network



More Caves, Hot Springs and Mammoths

August 22nd

After four days, we packed up camp and took the road south towards Nebraska. Our first stop was just outside of Custer State Park at Wind Cave National Park. Wind Cave is famous for its box work formations (they are said to resemble post office boxes.) We took a guided tour underground and as expected, saw some impressive examples of box work. Above ground, we had a picnic and did a short nature trail through the prairie where I was particularly impressed with the vivid colors (the brownish green grass contrasted against the blue sky.) On our way out of the park, we saw some more bison and prairie dogs.

Our next stop was in Hot Springs, SD, famous for its natural spring waters. We admired some of the old brick buildings and filled up our water bottles in a decorative spring fountain in the center of town. On the outskirts of Hot Springs, we stopped at the Mammoth Site. This site is unique because it is an open archeological dig open to visitors. Several million years ago a giant watering hole attracted mammoths and other animals, trapping them and eventually leading to their death. Numerous fossils have been found giving clues to the climate and animal and plant life of the past. The interesting exhibits presented several theories about the extinction of mammoths. It was truly a unique place!

The heat was sweltering and we decided to skip the hot springs and went to another natural spring that is 72degrees F year round. The spring feeds a small river and is free and open to the public. We took a little refreshing dip, exactly what we needed after a long, hot day of sightseeing.

Finally, we crossed the Nebraska border and stopped at Fort Robinson, a preserved fort from the frontier days, where we camped for the night.  It was a long but rewarding day.

Posted from Williamsburg, VA



Tags: , ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *