BootsnAll Travel Network



Four states in one day; Destination: New Orleans

March 6th
It was a grey, damp Sunday morning and we had to dry out our gear before packing it up and getting on the road. We decided to do a short run through the sandy marsh paths of Big Lagoon state park to get our blood moving before breakfast. There weren’t many birds out that morning, but we did a see a swamp hare by the bathrooms. We finally got on the highway and Fabien decided to photograph the welcome signs of each state, not an easy feat when you’re doing 70 on the highway. The first one was Alabama, with a stop in Mobile to visit the USS Alabama, a WWII battleship and a submarine. It was amazing to see how self-sufficient the ship was, with everything aboard, including an operating room, a bakery and a post office. The next state was Mississippi and then finally, Louisiana. We got to Kenner (a small town near New Orleans airport) around 7pm and met up with my step-dad, Ken who so cleverly got us a hotel room (at a discounted price) in the middle of Mardi Gras. I won’t share the story here on my public blog 😉 We went to a pub near the hotel and had a couple of beers. Ken told us about the work he’s doing…building a new levee on the Mississippi River and we shared with him some of our trip adventures before returning to the room to map out our action plan for visiting New Orleans and seeing some parades.

 



Tags: , , , ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *