BootsnAll Travel Network



Flagstaff, Arizona (Gateway to the Grand Canyon)

April 28th-29th

After the beautiful drive up from Sedona, we arrived in Flagstaff mid-afternoon. We planned a short one-night stopover in Flagstaff before going to the Grand Canyon. One of the sights we wanted to see was the Lowell Observatory, a private astronomical observatory open for night viewings and visits. Unfortunately, they weren’t doing a night viewing the day we arrived, but we did an excellent guided tour of the historical grounds and saw two antique telescopes, of which was used in the discovery of Pluto. Next it was time to find a motel on Route 66. After checking out a couple of seedy places, we landed at one with a European (Polish) hostess. Unfortunately, there was no laundry at the hotel, so we went in search of a laundromat. Instead of taking the advice of the hotel, we decided to go towards the center hoping to find one on the way. When we didn’t find one, we turned to our “trusty” GPS which sent is in circles for about 45 minutes. Finally, we found a laundromat on the other side of train tracks in a nice little area of bars and restaurants. We rewarded ourselves with a sumptuous dinner at a local brewery. The next morning we had two objectives: grocery shopping and the Museum of Northern Arizona History. The museum was a good introduction to the geology and native population of the Colorado Plateau and our next stop: the GRAND CANYON!



Tags: , ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *