BootsnAll Travel Network



February 27- Miami Beach, Fun in the Sun

It’s Sunday morning, 80 degrees and sunny outside, what choice do you have but: go to the beach?  You could find worse beaches than South Beach in Miami Beach. Fabien and I got back on the 95, and headed toward South Beach. About a mile from the beach Fabien asked where I thought we should park. My response, just head to Ocean Drive and we’ll find a spot. Okay, I was a little naive, we ended up finding a spot a couple of blocks off the beach in a parking garage, $20 for the day. Little price to pay to be sure our car would be there when we came back.

Our tour started with a walk through the Art Deco district which stretches about 6 blocks along Ocean Drive and Collins Avenue. The boutique Art Deco hotels, vintage cars and “suped up” cars cruising the strip were a feast for the eyes. That was even before we got to the beach which was packed with locals out with their families, college kids on spring break, tourists and  the local transvestites.. As we neared the boardwalk, the scene became tamer, but no less entertaining with the bikers, skateboarders and guys on jet-skis. On this particular Sunday, there also happened to be a food and wine festival and an “Urban Challenge,” a sort of scavenger hunt in running shoes. We were stopped by two “urban challenge” teams. The first wanted a picture of us kissing like in Robert Doisneau’s photograph ” Kiss at the Hotel de Ville.” The second team asked us to turn the rope as they jumped rope by the beach. We gladly participated in the local event.

After a long day of fun in the sun, we drove back up A1A, the Florida coastal highway for a last night in the Pompano Beach Motel 6. South Beach is on our list of future weekend getaways.



Tags: , ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *