BootsnAll Travel Network



Updates From Casa

Yep in Casablanca and I have my Mauritanian visa. It was pretty easy to get with 200Dh, 2 passport photos and photocopy of my passport (besides the original of course). It is for one month from today, so I will effectively have 2 and a half weeks. Should be enough for a country I know nothing about.

West Africa

I’ll be using the safarine malaria tablets but I still haven’t found a place to get mosquito lotion and the mosquito nets. That’s my next mission. I still need to figure out if I need any other shots. There are no other mandatory shots besides yellow fever, which I have, but I’m wondering what other vaccines are a good idea.

I also didn’t find a place that sold English guidebooks, so I payed through the hol and ordered one online from Amazon UK express delivery. I leave after it arrives; probably next week Monday.

[By the way the country Western Sahara that you see in the map I put in, hasn’t been a country since 1975 when Morocco and Mauritania took it over and split it amongst themselves. Apparently some of the locals too offence at that and there’s been some fighting but in the last few years it’s calmed down enough so that you don’t have to pass through by military convoy anymore. There are some left over mines though, so I’ll let you know if I see anyone blow up or any loose limbs lying around.]

Tags: , , , ,



One Response to “Updates From Casa”

  1. Maya Says:

    Salaam!:)

    Just looked at your blog for the first time since a while. Wow Jabs, this is really beautiful!:) I get such a craving for these places… hopefully I can find a way to get an internship in Morocco this time next year, that’s my plan at least. For the summer I’ll move to Berlin, insha Allah:)
    Hey I was invited to break fast here in Regensburg the other day, there was also an Egyptian shayk, and they had cooked lambchops in a tagine as well. With a really sticky, strong cinnamon sauce, and lots of whole almonds. And, I ate it! For health reasons. Just following my impulses…;) it will always be something special to me, eating meat I mean, but I might become a similar kind of vegetarian as you are.
    I wish you all the best for the rest of the fast, and as long as you keep straight with the moroccan barbers about moustaches, I’ll be enjoying your pics!;)
    Peace*Maya

  2. admin Says:

    Wow, that tajine tastes good. I would recommend trying to visit Morocco before deciding to take an internship here – some places can be hard to live for a women. Which city would you be based in? I could give you more info if I knew.

    Some good food here, some strange food too but mostly good. Hard to be a veggie but possible if you make food yourself.

  3. Waleed Says:

    You should work for the travel channel Ghalied I think that sort of work will suit you. Right up your alley. At least now I have some idea where you will be heading off to next. Wonder whats to be expected in Mauritania??? I’m sure you will inform us.

    Its hot here in Cape Town today, I went to mosque in Constitution street in District 6, the mosque right next to the Cape Technikon. Sjoe! There wasnt any wind to cool things down at least the Imam was quite a comedian, he delivered a “comical” ghutbah that made you laugh.

Leave a Reply