BootsnAll Travel Network



Things Are Starting To Cook

Me and this Kiwi bra checked out all the auberges and campsites on the beach and found an auberge for really cheap and not too far away. I wish I could show you pictures but at the moment I have to skud with my memory card and hope to run into other mense with cameras that take this memory card. It hasn’t happened so far. I expected it to be hard because, let’s face it, going up to tourists and asking them to give you their camera is a sure-fire method of some misunderstandings. Of course, there is a slight possibility that I would end up with a camera I didn’t pay for.

The water is nice and warm but there are no waves but I’ve also got a lead on some surf camps down south – hopefully near some easy spots. It’s about 200Euro for a week including breakfast and another meal so it’s relatively cheap. Well, if I was back home it would be cheap but travelling makes you into a bit of a miser through necessity so I’m still checking if it’s within my budget. Hopefully I can maybe do some bargaining. Meanwhile I’ll just lam [relax] here by the beach and wander around look for tourist to harass for their cameras.

Today I’m also gonna do some shopping for the rest of my cooking utensils and some of the ingredients. I realised in Mauritania that cooking for myself would save some money sometimes and bought myself one of these tiny little camping gas stoves. Those of you who realise that West Africa can be dangerous to travel, will now realise it just got a little more dangerous with me cooking. And it’s going to be actual food rather just opening cans or frying stuff.

I already have a teaspoon and one pot, so here is the rest of my shopping list:

  • cup
  • knife
  • fork
  • table spoon
  • maybe a tiny cutting board
  • oil
  • containers for oil
  • dishwashing liquid
  • cloth
  • small packets of salt, pepper, cumin, ginger
  • garlic
  • pasta
  • small tins of tomato paste
  • sardines
  • tuna
  • cans of vegetables

Anything else I should get?

Tags: , ,



5 Responses to “Things Are Starting To Cook”

  1. Waleed Abdurahman Says:

    Interesting – The fact that you are cooking. Ag you will see its not so difficult the trick is to get the onions golden brown, then add your meat and potatoes. If you are going to cook chicken, lets say you are making chicken curry, you add the potatoes long before you add the chicken. Chicken is something that doesn’t take that long to cook 80 -90minutes should be fine. One things that comes to mind,,, is al die hoenders die selfde? Not sure if West African chickens are tougher than their South African feathery cousins?

  2. admin Says:

    You thinking in the wrong terms ayah. You’re assuming that I can buy chicken in pieces out a supermarket instead of a table in a market with flies buzzing around it. It takes getting used to seeing meat before its cut up into pieces. Chops for instance looks totally different.

    I’m planning to stick to fish I get straight from a fisherman or straight from a tin. Pastas will be the norm but good cheese is hard to find too.

  3. Carol Says:

    Waleed, nrConfession – new pc – lost your email address. drop me a line please. C.nrGhalied – I would stick to fish if they would fillet it for me – if I had to look the animal in the eye before I ate it – vegan for me. You can’t hear the carrots scream. Any good tageen recipes? Sean would love them.nrtake care. C.

  4. admin Says:

    Carol, I sent you an email. Though you might be asking the wrong person for recipes. Fortunately you’ll be eating the food and not me but I suppose you’re used to being Sean’s guinea pig by now!

  5. Waleed A. Says:

    Don’t worry about the flies, when you steam the chicken all the fly eggs will be destroyed. Thawt you were the Marlboro MAN. Just put your pride in your pocket and eat the meat like a man (heeeee) Easy for me to say and yeah I did forget that bit about the meat being sold out in the open on a table. The same thing happens in the townships in Cape Town does take an ou with a tough stomach to handle somthing like that. If I’m EXTREMELY EXTREMELY hungry I will eat anything.

    Yesterday I was “invited” by two Kenyan guys to have some lunch and on closer inspection —the freaks were eating EisBein (think its Pork leg or something like) The meat looked strange I’d rather eat the fly infested chicken from Senagal.

    I’m off to Malmesbury the great Outdoors arrrrrh!

    Waleed

Leave a Reply