BootsnAll Travel Network



The Holy Month

Yeah so its Ramadaan. I thought things were quiet before but now it’s a ghost town. The Moroccan schedule is to sleep really late in the mornings, do whatever they need to in the afternoon, break their fast with a meal of various treats and harira (soup), rest/go to mosque/smoke, then eat meal later and stay up till very late (I think till dawn for most people but I’m not sure). I’m trying to adjust but I keep wanting a meal when everyone else is chilling and walking around when no one’s about.

The first night I broke my fast with a friend’s (Youssef) family and it was cool especially because, since it was the first night, lots of their family pitched up out. Drank soup till it came out of my gills and basically ate lots of the delectables. Then came the rest time and when the guys went off to mosque, we went off to watch Barcelona versus Valencia (good match) at a friend’s place. After we went back for the meal of fish tajine. All in all a good experience of good food and good people.

Mostly though I break my fast at the school with Youssef. We have dates and crackers and drinks and whatever we feel like and then later the night make a meal. I’m starting to learn how to make food – even if it’s just to get the cooking started at an earlier time (before I fall asleep). Luckily Youssef is quite a good chef, he even studied it for a bit. Morrocans ingredients and way of doing things is all slightly different to back home, so its all quite a buzz. It’s a trip, I tell you.

Tags: , ,



No Responses to “The Holy Month”

  1. Waleed Says:

    Last night at Islamia mosque I stood next to guy from Somalia. It was then that I was rudely reminded of your article on “feet”.
    The Somali’s way of completing a Saff is to not stand shoulder to shoulder but rather to touch toes! Every raka’a ths guy decides to play voetjie voetjie with me every now and then rubbing his small toe against mine grrrr! It was most annoying as I am very ticklish I wonder if this is part of Mahliki way or not? I’ve noticed that most of them do this, the other thing is he stood with hs legs so wide part that I had limited space for myself. The ou balie next to me on the other sde seemed to be leaning on me as well so it became very uncomfortable.

    There is something about the toes and feet of the Somali’s – Niknaks come to mind. : )

    My headaches seem to be gone, I usually do get headaches the first 2 or three days of the fast. The Big Macs burning lose from my system? Or else it must be a lack of the stuff in my bloodstream. Chicken tajine …. that just sounds good even though I have never taste it or seen it in my life.

    Have a lekker Dry Weekend

    WA

  2. admin Says:

    They do the feet touching thing here too – well most of them. Still haven’t gotten the energy to walk to taraweeg yet but will soon. Promises to be a buzz.

Leave a Reply