BootsnAll Travel Network



Moulay Idriss

So I’m halfway through a day mission from Meknes. Just got to Moulay Idriss from Volubilis – the Roman ruins. It was from around 3 BC. I’m not too hot on history but I scheme that’s a bit before my time.

v

Now I’m in Moulay Idriss because taxis don’t go between Volubilis and Meknes. I have to make a move soon because there’s no transport to Meknes after 3 and Moulay Idriss has no tourist facilities. Mainly because non-Muslims up to a couple of years ago were not allowed to overnight. In fact, until recently they didn’t allow non-Muslims into the town at all. Hectic.

I arrived expecting to find an inbred hole in the wall town but it looks surprisingly like a good place to chill. Nice modern-looking square to lounge around and great scenic views as the town’s on the side of a hill. Apparently there’s also the actual mausoleum of Moulay Idriss somewhere (the bra who fought off the various colonialists and formed the ‘current’ Morocco kingdom) as well at the only cilindrical minaret in Morocco but I doubt I could be bothered to go find those.

MI

Be nice if I could see them beat up a non-Muslim though. Just kidding.

Tags: , ,



Leave a Reply