BootsnAll Travel Network



How To Get To Me

Since I got roughly 5 minutes to be constructive, I might as well explain how to get to where I’m staying here in St. Louis.

First you got to get to the city of Sor which is in the north of Senegal on the coast. In Sor, you cross over the bridge to the island of St Louis with its old colonial buildings and tranquil streets. Well, tranquil unless you get hassled by millions of salesmen wanting to give you friendly advice you don’t need or great bargains you don’t want to buy.

The city isn’t too bad but we’re looking for the nice beaches (which around here means ‘not unbelievably filthy’). So cross over the next bridge and take a left. You’re now on a tongue of land between the other side of the Senegal river and the ocean. Keep going left for 3 or 4km. If you’re driving, be careful of the people around the port, the goats, the tracks picking up fish, the people on bicycle and the crabs scuttling across the road.

If you’re walking, please consider taking the taxi for a mere 125CFA because frankly the walk is crowded, dirty and smelly for the first 2kms. After the port and the cemetery, the walk is only disgusting if you walk right right next to the riverbank and see what’s been dumped there (or someone taking a dump).

Anyway, after 3 or 4 Km the road takes a turn at the curio shop and you’ll see a cheap restaurant (that serves great yassa poulet), a shop and Papayer. Papayer is at once a bar, a cabaret and a nightclub (the bouncer is a huge fan of Lucky Dube). Friday nights you’ll be able to see a variety of characters including some Senegalese dressed up as American Hip Hoppers and French Stellas trying to Get Their Groove Back. Locals are mostly glad to help.

Anyway, just keep going pass the back of Papayer where the nightclub is, and you see a sign saying Campement Kumba. This camp is set apart from its neighbours by the fact that it has electricity and running water. Cabins even have on-suites. The cabin I’m in is set apart from the other one we checked out by the fact that it has a seat on the toilet. Yep, welcome to the lap of luxury.

There’s only sand between you and the ocean and not much to distract you from the absolutely serious business of being a beach bum. Yes, life is hard.

Tags: , ,



Leave a Reply