BootsnAll Travel Network



Babylon By Boat

Ja, ja, I’m still in Dakar – la dee daa – se mase ma. Okay, so the last sentence had a bit of Akrikaans slang so I’ll throw in a bit of French commé ça. Notice how I managed to get the ‘c’ with the little beweging at the bottom in there. I finally looked around and found it on these French keyboards. Only took me all of 9 fucken months.

But the off-shoot of this is that, much like a raver, I also figured where that elusive ‘é’ is. This means that I can throw in an ‘ek sé’ [ek sé = I say] or two, of hoe? Yep, things can get real slangy around here, ek sé. I could also gooi [throw] in a ‘jy jou ma se…’ [‘hey you, your mother’s…] but I leave that for my nightime dialogue with the mosquitos.

I had a point I’m pretty sure but it got lost in trying to throw in a swearword to tick my mother off. It’s pretty hard to throw in swearwords because I hardly swear nowadays. Every Capetonian misses swearing a bit when he travels, I’m sure. Nothing quite like Kaapse slang to vloek some baastard out, ek sé.

Yesterday I went sailing. It was my first time as crew. It was good to hold the tiller, scramble around for winching sails and pulling on ropes and doing all the stuff you don’t notice as passenger. I still have a lot to learn but enjoyed the buzz. I need to get the feel of the tiller and be able to check the sails out for the best position for catching wind and such goede. Also this switching tack thing seems to always catch me by surprise.

And it’s hard to watch what the other guy is doing when you’re missioning as well. I either need eyes in the back of my head or more experience. And actually… mmm… I don’t know which would be cooler.

[By the way, my new digital camera arrives tonight inshallah]

Tags: , ,



One Response to “Babylon By Boat”

  1. Waleed Says:

    I’m also sailing, actually its all plain sailing here at the office and the coast is clear. The boss here as been away you can even notice how different the air is in the office as the ouens are all cruising, blime, sailing on their on steam.

    The weather here has been to die for and the mosquitoes I’m sure must be dikgesuip on my non alcoholic blood.

    I went for a 5km run the other night something I never do, I could feel something wet in my shorts (dont wana be rude but is Ibbie wat hardloop laat die K * K spat). Not into running as you know but have finally entered the 21km two oceans half marathon. I thinks its a mistake to attempt it,,, my bum knee was really hurting after the run.

    You must be beyond your seasickness by now. Go safely and happy sailing.

  2. admin Says:

    Ayah, I did a half marathon once. For training I ran from the lighthouse to the pavillion and back (7km) and also from the lighthouse to the end of Campsbay pool and back (17km). It wasn’t enough by a long shot but I still made the half marathon by walking a lot. The trick is to arrive just before the starting time and burst in right in front.

    Other than that you just have to walk or run through he pain, your body tells you to give up way before it actually does.

  3. Waleed Says:

    This is so amazing, you much be reading my running mind. I was looking for a nice place to run a 7km. You have just given me the perfect idea. I have to watch my knee how I wish I had a good knee and some youth. If anybody at Peek ‘n Pray is reading this give Rodger oops Roger Holland a kick on his right knee from me. He will know why.

    Two laps round the common last night went down well just did anticipate sweating so much it took sometime a plenty of water and juice to cool down and stop sweating. Thus far I’ve just done 2 x 5km runs which is obviously not enough mileage but I’ll slowly get there. Only trouble is I have to squeeze in the runs between cycling. My bike is being service so I felt more motivated to run, blime, I need a good service myself. Need lekker hour Thai massage with oils and shit , 30 minutes in a Jacuzzi. Hmmm!

    Are you back on land Sailor?? err Captain? Sorry Keptin! Vergiet djy’s mos a Kaapse Klong

  4. Maya Says:

    9 months you’re out there already…that’s amazig. I looked at the pictures, and I remember a kind of different person when I last saw you in Capetown. It’s awesome you have this opportunity of travelling, masha Allah, enjoy:) I will definitely try to make my way towards the Morocco-area someday, insha Allah. nrPeace*Maya

Leave a Reply