BootsnAll Travel Network



The quest for the perfect cannolo: background.

Brooke vs. White Plains

Cannoli Obsession is not a strong enough word to describe my love for the delectable Italian treat, cannoli. Coming from central-Illinois, I simply never had the opportunity to try the dessert until my semester abroad in Italy 2004. I had heard stories of its deliciousness, but after our first encounter, I knew that none had done it justice.

I remember the day perfectly. It was late April in Sicily when the primary quest began, which read something more like, “The quest to taste a cannolo.” Sarah, my traveling companion, and I made our way to the homeland of cannoli because, after all, we had never had one before and figured what better way to really taste one than to get to its roots. And so we did.

The quest didn’t last long as there are actually pastry shops on every corner in Sicily. I looked in the window of the first one in Catania and saw someone steadily at work filling a pastry shell with a creamy filling – yes, it was our beloved cannoli! I ran in with a smile on my face, pointed at what the lady had in hand, and paid my 1 ½ Euro with about as much exuberance as a kid in a candy store. Success!

Back on the street, pastry in hand, we took a moment to examine our soon-to-be-eaten treat. The shell was a pastry tube about 4 ½ inches long filled with some creamy/sweet ricotta filling that was randomly speckled with mini chocolate chips. Both ends were decorated with bright red candied cherries, while the top was lightly dusted with powdered sugar. My mouth was watering.

I couldn’t take it anymore. I sank my teeth in, and it was at that moment that I felt it: love. Love? Yes, I’m pretty sure it was love.

That was the day I made it official – The quest to find the perfect cannolo. With this in mind, I am taking advantage of my current location so I can search out the best in New York!



Tags: ,

One response to “The quest for the perfect cannolo: background.”

  1. BostonBill says:

    Veniero’s Pastry East Village

    http://newyork.citysearch.com/profile/7088151/
    new_york_ny/veniero_s_pasticceria_caffe_.html

  2. admin says:

    You’re the 2nd person who’s recommended them… I will check them out before the summer’s over!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *